What do I need to add to LOML's sight seeing list?  We land in Portland 9/12 and will work our way North on Hwy 1 for a few days then leave Portland the 18th.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

Multnomah Falls is beautiful.  If you are going south to Hwy. 1, then Crater Lake National Park is a must see.  I don't believe Hwy. 1 goes north from Portland, but it's been a while since I was there.
Most of the seaside towns on the Maine coast are attractive. Camden is especially nice. If you get as far North as Bar Harbor, see it by all means; and drive through Acadia National Forest. Beautiful. There are some old tool dealers up there. I went to a couple. They had lots and lots of stuff. Can't recall the names at the moment, but Google should be able to provide them.
(08-21-2017, 03:07 PM)humanrace Wrote: Multnomah Falls is beautiful.  If you are going south to Hwy. 1, then Crater Lake National Park is a must see.  I don't believe Hwy. 1 goes north from Portland, but it's been a while since I was there.

Wrong Portland
Bob
If you like old airplanes and old cars, Owl's Head is the place to be.
You'll be flying over most of the best places to see like "Fat Joe Billy Bobs deep fried greasy spoon gas-n-go restaurant" and landing in the unhealthy vein popping high cholesterol steamed Lobster territory.  
Laugh

But hey, it's a vacation- go ahead and try and have a good time.
Big Grin
Bill, You'll have a number of places to stop. 

Thos Moser showroom in Freeport.
Just down the street: LLBean.
Bowdoin College Museum of Art in Brunswick.
Boothbay Harbor. Eat lobster at the Lobsterman's coop and go visit the Maine State Aquarium.
Damariscotta Pottery in Damariscotta.
Lunch at King Eider's Pub. Try the Damariscotta oysters.
Lie Nielsen after Waldoboro but you had that planned.
Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland.
If you have time, go for a sail on the Heron out of Rockport. Ask Twig Bower, the owner and captain, about how he built her. He dovetailed the frames into the keelson.
Go up to Mount Battie in Camden Hills State Park.
Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport.
Fort Knox right before the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.
Stonington. Beautiful small town. Galleries and shops. Stonington Lobertman's Coop out on Indian Head Road. Drive a little farther to Ames Pond and look for the pink water lillies.
Brooklin. The WoodenBoat School and grounds.
Blue Hill. There are a number of pottery and jewelry galleries.
Ellsworth: Union River Lobster Pot.
Acadia National Park. Cadillac Mountain, Jordan Pond House.
Bar Harbor. Shops and galleries.

By then you should be ready to turn around.
Wink

And more for you:

Searsport: Captain Tinkham's Emporium
Bar Harbor: Hull's Cove Tool Barn
(08-21-2017, 07:26 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Bill, You'll have a number of places to stop. 

Thos Moser showroom in Freeport.
Just down the street: LLBean.
Bowdoin College Museum of Art in Brunswick.
Boothbay Harbor. Eat lobster at the Lobsterman's coop and go visit the Maine State Aquarium.
Damariscotta Pottery in Damariscotta.
Lunch at King Eider's Pub. Try the Damariscotta oysters.
Lie Nielsen after Waldoboro but you had that planned.
Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland.
If you have time, go for a sail on the Heron out of Rockport. Ask Twig Bower, the owner and captain, about how he built her. He dovetailed the frames into the keelson.
Go up to Mount Battie in Camden Hills State Park.
Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport.
Fort Knox right before the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.
Stonington. Beautiful small town. Galleries and shops. Stonington Lobertman's Coop out on Indian Head Road. Drive a little farther to Ames Pond and look for the pink water lillies.
Brooklin. The WoodenBoat School and grounds.
Blue Hill. There are a number of pottery and jewelry galleries.
Ellsworth: Union River Lobster Pot.
Acadia National Park. Cadillac Mountain, Jordan Pond House.
Bar Harbor. Shops and galleries.

By then you should be ready to turn around.
Wink

And more for you:

Searsport: Captain Tinkham's Emporium
Bar Harbor: Hull's Cove Tool Barn
Dave, I wish you had taken a little time and given my request some thought.  WOW! You sir, gave a nice list.  As for Lie Nielsen, I made that stop the last time we were in Maine.  LOML gives me a nice allowance but she may not let me return to the Lie Nielsen show room.  And as you suggest we are turning South-West after Bar Harbor.

Thank you guys for the suggestions...and keep'em coming.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Add on:

The Colby (College) Museum of Art in Waterville
The Maine State Museum in Augusta (Very nice!) It's right next door to the capitol building.

These two aren't right ON the coast, but not too far inland and well worth a visit
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
Bill,

I can give you more if you'd like.
Big Grin

Since you're skipping Lie Nielsen this time, you'll have a few extra hours to devote elsewhere.

While you're in Acadia, go to Thunder Hole.
If you have time, go out to Monhegan Island. Used to be a fishing village, now artists inhabit the place. It's a boat ride from Port Clyde. Beautiful place.
Pemaquid Point Lighthouse and the Fisherman's Museum nearby.

I hope you have a great trip. Eat a whole lobster for me.
Maine's East Coast