Question 
I'm hunting for a replacement motor for my oooooold jointer.  A motor I've found, that I think will work, is labeled as being "Selective CCW".  Does that mean it's reversible?

Here's the link to the motor I'm eyeballing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2hp-1725rpm-56hz...Sw~oFXG95O
Semper fi,
Brad

(08-23-2017, 11:49 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm hunting for a replacement motor for my oooooold jointer.  A motor I've found, that I think will work, is labeled as being "Selective CCW".  Does that mean it's reversible?

Looking up that motor on Leeson's site they show the connections to reverse it.    I think it means it comes CCW but you can select what rotation you want ?   Call or e mail Leeson and see what they say but being a farm duty motor I would be very confident it is reversible.   Roly

(08-23-2017, 02:18 PM)Roly Wrote: Looking up that motor on Leeson's site they show the connections to reverse it.    I think it means it comes CCW but you can select what rotation you want ?   Call or e mail Leeson and see what they say but being a farm duty motor I would be very confident it is reversible.   Roly

Roly,

You're right.  I dug a little deeper in, found a spec sheet, and found that it can be wired to run in either direction.
Semper fi,
Brad

(08-23-2017, 11:49 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm hunting for a replacement motor for my oooooold jointer.  A motor I've found, that I think will work, is labeled as being "Selective CCW".  Does that mean it's reversible?

"Selective" is a new one on me.  Reversible sounds reasonable, I suppose, and expected as Roly wrote.  But it would have helped if the seller posted a closeup of the actual nameplate rather than keying it into a table.

Note that it's a 56HZ frame - the "H" makes the bolt pattern wider than a standard 56 frame (longitudinally), but the "Z" means the shaft is special.  The suffix says nothing about what makes it special, other than it's not a standard 56 frame shaft.  It's listed as a 7/8" shaft (56 has a 5/8" shaft), so that's part of it at least.  And it seems to have a keyway.  But it may also be longer or shorter or have a hole drilled in the end, or anything for that matter.  Though the listing shows it being 7/8".
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(08-23-2017, 03:20 PM)TDKPE Wrote: "Selective" is a new one on me.  Reversible sounds reasonable, I suppose, and expected as Roly wrote.  But it would have helped if the seller posted a closeup of the actual nameplate rather than keying it into a table.

Note that it's a 56HZ frame - the "H" makes the bolt pattern wider than a standard 56 frame (longitudinally), but the "Z" means the shaft is special.  The suffix says nothing about what makes it special, other than it's not a standard 56 frame shaft.  It's listed as a 7/8" shaft (56 has a 5/8" shaft), so that's part of it at least.  And it seems to have a keyway.  But it may also be longer or shorter or have a hole drilled in the end, or anything for that matter.  Though the listing shows it being 7/8".

Tom: Although I've yet to have the occasion to solicit your expert advice, I am consistently amazed at your breadth of knowledge of all things electrical, and of your incredible willingness to share.  Thank you!  Rich
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(08-23-2017, 04:05 PM)Admiral Wrote: Thank you!

You're welcome.   
Shy
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(08-23-2017, 03:20 PM)TDKPE Wrote: "Selective" is a new one on me.  Reversible sounds reasonable, I suppose, and expected as Roly wrote.  But it would have helped if the seller posted a closeup of the actual nameplate rather than keying it into a table.

Leeson calls it selective CCW on their data sheet for this motor on Leeson's web site.   They also have the outline drawings along with connection info to reverse.    Check the outline drawings to see if it will fit properly in your application.   The drawing shows 7/8" shaft.      Roly
CCW = Counter-Clockwise Wrotation.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Tom,

Thanks, and yes, I agree with Admiral: Your knowledge has helped me a LOT over the years.

Yes, the shaft is slotted. Yes, it's 7/8", which is what I need, so I won't have to replace the drive pulley.

The foot print isn't a *huge* deal for me--my jointer currently has the motor sitting off to the side on a cast boss that is drilled for mounting bolts. The motor that came with the jointer is a 182 frame; it's bolted onto a piece of plywood that is then bolted to the jointer's base. I can adapt it to fit a motor with feet.

Spec sheet:

http://www.leeson.com/leeson/searchprodu...=110090.00
Semper fi,
Brad

(08-24-2017, 01:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: The foot print isn't a *huge* deal for me--my jointer currently has the motor sitting off to the side on a cast boss that is drilled for mounting bolts.  The motor that came with the jointer is a 182 frame; it's bolted onto a piece of plywood that is then bolted to the jointer's base.  I can adapt it to fit a motor with feet.

Hmmmm.  Shaft shoulder to first set of slots is the same as your 182 frame, but the second set of slots is 1/2" different, and the new motor is wider narrower, though the slots may overlap the existing, at least at the shaft end.  But if there's an adapter there already, should be no big deal to redrill or mill slots to intersect the motor slots (at 90 deg.). 

Of course, if the mount is drilled for a 56 frame, it'll just bolt right up.  But the distance from the shaft center to the mount will be different - 56 frame is 56/16=3.5", and a 182 is 18/4=4.5" (why NEMA uses 1/16 for fractional hp (FHP) frames and 1/4 for integral hp frames I couldn't say, but that's what the frame sizes mean in part).  And you said there's an adapter, which would work for or against you as far as belt length goes, or neither for that matter, depending on the belt direction. 

AFAIK, the thing that makes 'farm duty' is better bearing seals (maybe sealed both sides instead of seal and shield, or shield and shield), and paint that resists the ammonia in the air.  Any TEFC should be able to work out in the rain.
Tom

Motor question: "Selective CCW"?