I had not looked in a while but I just realized that Sears no longer has any woodworking table saw. Lots of people started with a Craftsman contractor saw. Makes me a bit sad.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.

(08-26-2017, 12:15 PM)messmaker Wrote: I had not looked in a while but I just realized that Sears no longer has any woodworking table saw. Lots of people started with a Craftsman contractor saw. Makes me a bit sad.

I still have mine, one of the few new machines I ever purchased.  Right next to it is a 1954 Unisaw that I got for free.  The C-man is used with my crosscut sled; the Uni for almost everything else.  Sadly, Sears is on the long slow path to irrelevance in today's world of shopping.  I think it will be a Harvard Business School case study in a few years about the self destruction of a business icon.  

John

(08-26-2017, 12:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I still have mine, one of the few new machines I ever purchased.  Right next to it is a 1954 Unisaw that I got for free.  The C-man is used with my crosscut sled; the Uni for almost everything else.  Sadly, Sears is on the long slow path to irrelevance in today's world of shopping.  I think it will be a Harvard Business School case study in a few years about the self destruction of a business icon.  

John

You got that right!

And I have another story to tell to affirm that.

But, sure many on this forum are tired of reading my stories of past history.

Smile
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(08-26-2017, 12:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: ...Sadly, Sears is on the long slow path to irrelevance in today's world of shopping.  I think it will be a Harvard Business School case study in a few years about the self destruction of a business icon.  

John

And they could make a similar case study out of the Delta sitting right next to it
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Just walking through Home Depot yesterday and Menards today, it was pretty interesting to observe the shrinkage that has occurred in table saws.

They're all jobsite saws and they've shrunk to the point of looking toy-like.

Likely more to do with producing goods overseas and then shipping here by container, than anything else.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24

(08-26-2017, 02:13 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Just walking through Home Depot yesterday and Menards today, it was pretty interesting to observe the shrinkage that has occurred in table saws.

I'd bet that the percentage of Home Depot customers that know how to use a table saw would be pretty small.
Besides woodcraft I can't think of a single place I could go to locally to buy a tablesaw.
-Marc

(08-26-2017, 12:15 PM)messmaker Wrote: I had not looked in a while but I just realized that Sears no longer has any woodworking table saw. Lots of people started with a Craftsman contractor saw. Makes me a bit sad.

They were selling SteelCity woodworking machines a few years ago until they went out of business. Sears will be next.
If you go to Sears web site and search for table saw you'll find all kinds, from Craftsman to Powermatic.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(08-26-2017, 12:15 PM)messmaker Wrote: I had not looked in a while but I just realized that Sears no longer has any woodworking table saw.

I'm curious what caused you to think this - Sears still has tablesaws, Craftsman brand as well as several other brands, and stocks them in most stores.  They have a row of them set up for displays at my local Sears.

Maybe you shopped a smaller Sears or a franchise location?  Might also have moved them, getting about time for them to reorganize the tool department for the Christmas buildup.
Sears-No Woodworking tablesaw