I opened an old paint can to do some molding touch-up. Rust flakes dropped into the can. I don't need much paint, so I'd rather not buy a new can. It's Sherwin Williams water-based acrylic enamel.

Should I just pour the contents through a cotton or nylon screen into a new can? Or does the paint need to be thinned first (so that it goes through the screen easier)? Thanks.

(09-30-2017, 01:37 PM)RichK Wrote: I opened an old paint can to do some molding touch-up.  Rust flakes dropped into the can.  I don't need much paint, so I'd rather not buy a new can.  It's Sherwin Williams water-based acrylic enamel.  

Should I just pour the contents through a cotton or nylon screen into a new can?  Or does the paint need to be thinned first (so that it goes through the screen easier)?  Thanks.

Unfortunately, this happens all the time.  I pour it through a paper/screen cone filter that I use for filtering finishes that go into my spray gun.  Whether or not your paint needs to be thinned depends upon whether it goes through the filter in a reasonable amount of time.  I'd prefer not to thin it, but if you have to you have to.  If it's ProClassic, it's likely you will have to. 

John
Thanks, John. I ended up adding a little water and that did the trick. Coverage looks good.

(09-30-2017, 05:12 PM)RichK Wrote: Thanks, John.  I ended up adding a little water and that did the trick.  Coverage looks good.

Glad it worked out. 

John
Rust in paint can