Would you do this?  Executive summary: 2x long-wise on the wall and on the ceiling.  Hang a sheet of drywall from the 2x on the ceiling, screw a 2x to the bottom.  Bridge the gap on the bottom with a sheet of drywall.  No vertical or horizontal framing to hold the corner in place. I like the idea, I wonder if it would work. The soffit I want to build is to cover a pipe.  Because there is a beam next to it, the soffit would be about 6"x12" to match the drywall covering the beam.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2011/07/...m=editpost

I have been doing it that way for years.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
thanks, maybe I'll try it.  If I screw it up, it's only a little drywall and paint.
works pretty good as long as the 2 bys on wall and ceiling are screwed into studs/trusses/joists.

to make it a little easier, i screw the 2 by that will be at the outside corner while on the ground, then put it up and screw into ceiling 2 by.
however, thats done with another set of hands on long runs.
I'd be the poor soul that moved into the house figuring I could mount something with some weight to an existing soffit, only to find an empty-box "easy soffit."

(10-12-2017, 12:57 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I'd be the poor soul that moved into the house figuring I could mount something with some weight to an existing soffit, only to find an empty-box "easy soffit."

I know what you mean.  More than a few times I have tried to hang something on a "wall" that really wasn't much of a wall.  
Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Use metal studs!  That's the way it is done in commercial drywall for small soffits.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!

(10-12-2017, 06:09 PM)woodhead Wrote: Use metal studs!  That's the way it is done in commercial drywall for small soffits.

Al

+1
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I left a gap for the narrow edge of a 2x at the ceiling in the drywall, which is already up.  So I don't think steel studs will help me any.
steel on the bottom edge will help assure a nice straight corner, hard to do with most 2x's these days!
FHB "easy soffits"