Sam's Club will have a 40-gun safe on sale here in the near future.  It's just what I'm looking for.  The question is, how do I get it into the house?  The thing weighs over 500 lbs!  Would it be best to rent an appliance dolly?  Even so, I still need to get it out of my pickup truck.

Any thoughts?

(10-30-2017, 04:54 PM)dg152 Wrote: Sam's Club will have a 40-gun safe on sale here in the near future.  It's just what I'm looking for.  The question is, how do I get it into the house?  The thing weighs over 500 lbs!  Would it be best to rent an appliance dolly?  Even so, I still need to get it out of my pickup truck.

Any thoughts?

I don't know where to get one of these, but I like it!  People on the forums often ask "how do I get x machinery in/out of my basement.  This looks like the tool to use.

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
With your chequebook.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I moved an 800 lb one into our upstairs along with three good neighbors.  I used a chain fall to remove it from the truck.  The door was removable so that shaved off over a 100 lbs.  Part of the "fire resistance" was sheet rock type of material that could be removed.   I also removed the shelves etc.  I put it on a moving dolly (used extra straps to secure it), and we moved it up.   After saying all of that, I don't know if I would do that again.  The check writing would only make my wallet sore, not my back.
Forget the puck up. Rent something with a lift gate
For moving it on a flat surface, use “piano movers”

You should be able to rent the stair climber from a local rental house. Not as easy to use as it looks

We use them for moving vending machines. I would seriously think of using your check book

(10-30-2017, 07:45 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Forget the puck up. Rent something with a lift gate
For moving it on a flat surface, use “piano movers”

You should be able to rent the stair climber from a local rental house. Not as easy to use as it looks

We use them for moving vending machines. I would seriously think of using your check book
  Remember to check the stair construction to make sure it will hold you weight and that of the safe.   I have seen basement stairs that I sure would not trust.   Roly
My Browning weighs close to 800lbs. The seller laid it down (pallet attached) in the the back of my truck.  
Confused  Told me to slide it out slowly, let it tip upright.

Worked perfectly.

I then picked it up with the Bobcat, set it on the
porch, pushed it to the door.

We slid it off the pallet on to 2" conduit rollers and "wheeled" it through the house.

Removed the rollers, shoved it into its place.

Not a bad job overall.

Ed

(10-30-2017, 10:11 PM)EdL Wrote: My Browning weighs close to 800lbs. The seller laid it down (pallet attached) in the the back of my truck.  
Confused  Told me to slide it out slowly, let it tip upright.

Worked perfectly.

Remove your tailgate.
I did the same thing with mine. Slowly get it to the tipping point, let it touch the ground then push it upright, have a couple 2x4's under one side. Then I started jacking and cribbing, got it on a dolly and pushed into place. 800lbs all by myself.

My dads, we picked it up with the forks on the JD and drove it around to the walk out basement.

2 or 3 guys and an appliance dolly should get a 500 lb safe moved without a problem
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I bought one that weighs a little over 500#, and it really wasn't that hard for my #1 grandson to move (6'2, 240#) We pulled it out of the truck and leaned it down to get it upright. He was able to move it (with some help) on an appliance dolly, until we got to the carpet. At that point we actually slid it across the rug into it's spot.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
A 400 pound hunter hired a guide to take him mountain goat hunting.  The two were hiking into the mountains for about 5 hours and they stopped for a break.

The 400 pounder said, "I was wondering...If I broke a leg or, God forbid, I had a heart attack...how would I get out."

The guide said, "No problem.  Last week I carried out a 1,200 pound elk."

"How did you manage that?"

"Twelve trips."
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What's the best way to move a gun safe?