Question 
I have sold many many hand tools and smaller items over the years since I sold my shop --  usually on eBay and forums like this one.  

Am at the age where I will no longer use and still have my Limited Edition Delta 10" Contractors Saw with the 30" Unifence and the mobile base.  Though it is disassembled, my wife has been bugging me to get rid of it and all the components out of the garage.  

Other than the local Craigslist any suggestions?  It is much too big and would be too costly to ship out of the area.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink

Offer it here, you never know, put in your location, price and note it is pickup only, lots of members from Florida who might be interested; plus, you'll know it will be going to someone who can use it and will appreciate it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What Rich said.

You can put your location in your info through the UserCP. It got lost in the forum software change.

Between the members in FL and those of us with relatives in FL, this is certainly a reasonable place to start.

I already have a good Bosch contractor saw on a Bosch folding base, but the kids in St Pete might be interested if they have room as an upgrade to the Shopsmith TS function. The one I gave them has the 520 upgrade so it is an adequate TS when it is dialed in, but they use it so rarely that it needs to be dialed in each time the TS mode is used.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
My comfort level with Craigslist is not that great--the free services seem to attract an unsavory element. But I agree with listing it here. Gotta start somewhere and the word will get out. Remember that you are not losing a saw as much as you are gaining valuable garage space. Price aggressively and it will find a new home soon.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com

(12-10-2017, 04:52 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: My comfort level with Craigslist is not that great--the free services seem to attract an unsavory element. But I agree with listing it here. Gotta start somewhere and the word will get out. Remember that you are not losing a saw as much as you are gaining valuable garage space. Price aggressively and it will find a new home soon.

Craig's list has work very reliably for me in the Chicago area.  I usually try to have a phone conversation with the prospect and advise them to come only if they are prepared to buy the item and take it away.  No holds (unless prepaid), no refunds, and no "I'll be back with the money".  Certainly nothing wrong with listing something here first.  Big equipment is tougher to do of course.  That's why CL is a good because the customer knows he has to pick up the item.  Good luck!
Put the items on Woodnet, etc. and also list on Craigslist. I once sold a planer to a guy that lived in Ohio which is approx 6 hours from my location. People want something bad enough and the price is right they will travel. I traveled once about 5 hours one way to pick up my cabinet saw.

(12-10-2017, 08:17 PM)efmrrt Wrote: Put the items on Woodnet, etc. and also list on Craigslist.  I once sold a planer to a guy that lived in Ohio which is approx 6 hours from my location. People want something bad enough and the price is right they will travel.  I traveled once about 5 hours one way to pick up my cabinet saw.

Over here in Texas, 5 hours is a fairly regular occurrence... heck, sometimes that's just the next closest major city...
I would strongly recommend spending an hour or so doing a thorough cleaning first. Start by going over it with a shop vac, then use an air nozzle/compressor to blow dust out of every nook & cranny and finish by wiping down any smudges with denatured alcohol using folded paper towels. Remove any rust from the cast iron table, sand it down if you must, apply a coat of paste wax, and buff it out. It's amazing what a difference it makes in saleability.  Dusty and grimy tools are not appealing.

I would list it here and on Sawmill Creek classifieds.  I'd also list it on Craigslist with a slightly higher price.  Heck, you can even list it on eBay with local pickup only.  Be sure to add enough to the price to cover reductions of 10% for eBay and 3% for PayPal.  I've had good luck with all four venues.

Research your local Craigslist to see how similar saws are priced.  Research eBay listings AND sold items to do the same there.  One of the last USA made Delta Contractor saws is going to be worth a lot more than you expect.  I'd set a premium price.  Contractors will jump all over it.  I just sold a 15 year old DeWalt 733 planer (no longer made) in very good condition for $300.  I think that's what I paid for it new and the guy was grinning ear-to-ear when he drove away.

I don't like to negotiate at the time of sale so I always indicate my price is firm upfront.  Most people respect that but some folks insist on haggling and walk away without the tool.  I am true to my word and expect others to do the same.  The only time I reduce my price is when I'm not getting any responses and it's obvious that I've overreached.

With Craigslist, I prefer not to give people my address and if a tool is portable I will always meet them in a public place that I choose in a safe neighborhood and during daylight hours.  I generally bring a friend with me.  Our city has an exchange zone in front of the the police department so you might look into that if you're really nervous.

I always insist on a phone conversation first to confirm their legitimacy.  In fact, I would put it in your ad that all responses must include a phone number for further discussion.  That will help weed out the scammers.  It's your choice who you sell it to so I don't feel obligated to deal with people who make my Spidey-sense tingle.

When I sell large items at my home, I put them outside my shop on the driveway with an extension cord available to test them.  Then I sit with them and read a book until the buyer shows up.  I also wait to give my address when the person texts me that they are on the way to the scheduled meeting.

I hope these tips help.

Good luck!

Joe
I have sold many woodworking tools on ebay with success so far.

I never put my address in the ad, just a general area.

I always ask for replies by phone, not email.

On the call, before I reveal any info about me and my address, I always ask "what type of woodworking do you do". That gives me a chance to engage with more questions and see if the caller knows anything about woodworking. If I am not convinced, I tell them that I have someone coming to look at the item, and I will call back if they do not purchase it.

Good luck
An additional craigs list tip.

Do not put your phone number in the "phone number" spot.   Put your number in the description box. Also mix it up so that a "bot" cannot easily extract it, such as "32for81to558five".  Else you will be getting a lot of scam attempts via text.

List it in neighboring cities too.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
Asking for helpful suggestions in selling my table saw