I've been curious about this plane ever since LN first sprang it upon us.
Raised

Like many, there's been a slow, creeping evolution in my woodworking. At least what I do for my household. Anyway, I've told myself for a good while now that using handsaws, bench planes ect, was good enough and that doing moldings and such by hand was a bridge too far and not a rabbit hole I was willing to go down.
Sarcasm

But these days I have more time on my hands and I find myself starting to do "dumb things".
No

I've been posting about trying to figure out the Stanley 45. I wish it would just end there. But no..........:

[Image: lie_neilsen_48_004.jpg]

Literally the only adjustment I made to this plane after taking it out of the box was to lightly tap the top of the iron with a hammer to slightly deepen the cut. And that's why I buy LN tools. Impressive.

[Image: lie_neilsen_48_006.jpg]

[Image: lie_neilsen_48_009.jpg]

I've owned one for a couple years now and love it. I'm planning to add the No.49 for 1/2" work.

(01-15-2018, 05:41 PM)SPFurnitureMaker Wrote: I've owned one for a couple years now and love it. I'm planning to add the No.49 for 1/2" work.

You will like it, I was lucky enough to be able to snag a resale of one; when someone buys it they hardly ever sell it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yeah, guys, I think I agree a #49 would look good next to the #48.
Smile

Now if Tom would only release that rumored multi-plane.
Great looking joinery. I love LN tools—who doesn’t? I had an old Stanley 49 and it did ok but with some limitations. Chatter was somewhat noticeable. I always felt like the old 49 was creeking in pain if I didn’t take a very very light cut.

(01-16-2018, 10:19 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Great looking joinery.  I love LN tools—who doesn’t?  I had an old Stanley 49 and it did ok but with some limitations.  Chatter was somewhat noticeable.  I always felt like the old 49 was creeking in pain if I didn’t take a very very light cut.

I think I'm going to give this a try on some hard maple. Probably be a better test than this poplar.
Uhoh
Ash?
[attachment=7292]
3/16" tongue, dead centered. with the Stanley 45.    I also have a 1/4" tongue cutter.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit, I learned the other day that I have no 1/4" groove cutter to match my 1/4" tongue cutter.
Crazy

I'm going to order one from Lee Valley when I pull the trigger on some other stuff I want.
Smile
The #48 is one of the best planes for converting others to our craft. First, plowing the groove, and then the clincher of the gizmosity of swinging the fence and doing the tongue.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tried this out on some hard maple last night, it did really well. No harder to work than the poplar really. Smooth and crisp once done.

[Image: mf_8_and_tongue_work_with_ln48_006.jpg]
Lie-Nielsen #48.