Setting up a new shop with all new (to me) equipment in a new (to me) basement .  My good friend has helped with the tool layout we’re thinking it’s going to work well. There’s a new Griz 2hp cyclone hanging on the wall ready to be piped but I’m a little gun shy when it comes to running all that piping without ever having made a chip with any of the stationary tools in place.

The wood storage area is going to be a good distance away from the cyclone so I bought a little 1hp wall hanging DC for the RAS that will be used to cut rough lumber to length. It occurred to me that it’s small enough to be portable so my 2 wheel hand truck got repurposed as a DC truck. I’ll do a couple projects moving the little DC from machine to machine. Once the layout is finalized we’ll pipe up the cyclone.

Here’s  a couple pics.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

You used that portable collector yet. Specs are not so good so curious for an actual true test report of it.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Good idea there, but looks top heavy. How about a sandbag on the bottom, to keep it from tipping over and walking around.
I had one of those blowers, my first chip collector. It vibrated some, and walked around on the floor. I put it on a rubber mat.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Mike,
It sure seems to move a lot of air for a small unit. Only use to date has been a few cuts on the RAS, the big gulp dust hood is directly behind the blade and it seems to suck up the vast majority of dust as long as the blade is buried in the work. All bets are off when shaving 1/16" or so off an edge. I'll try to give you some better feedback in a couple days after use on the jointer & planer.

g

(01-29-2018, 11:14 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Good idea there, but looks top heavy. How about a sandbag on the bottom, to keep it from tipping over and walking around.
I had one of those blowers, my first chip collector. It vibrated some, and walked around on the floor. I put it on a rubber mat.

It is pretty stable with a nearly empty bag. So far I have no concern for tipping, maybe it will be different as the bag fills. I haven't noticed any vibration or tendency for it to "walk".

Thanks, g

(01-30-2018, 08:11 AM)shoottmx Wrote: It is pretty stable with a nearly empty bag. So far I have no concern for tipping, maybe it will be different as the bag fills. I haven't noticed any vibration or tendency for it to "walk".

Thanks, g

im thinking youre going to be ok as the bag fills. it looks like the bag is out past the platform a bit so that should actually stabilize it more.
and probably not a hole lot of weight will be added with that bag. my 2hp bag is a lot bigger and about 30 ish lbs full.

slick idea,too!
[attachment=7741]
Nice.

You can roll it out to the curb when it is time to empty the bag. That way you won't spill it all over the shop.
(01-31-2018, 05:42 PM)stav Wrote: Nice.

You can roll it out to the curb when it is time to empty the bag. That way you won't spill it all over the shop.

I wish. It's in my basement shop.

g

Road test:
so far it's been connected to an 8" jointer, 15" planer, 10"TS with shop vac on the blade guard, 6x48 &12" combo sander and a big gulp hood on a RAS. Certainly no detailed test but I have no complaints on it's suckage. I have a 10' section of collapiable hose to connect to the machines and it sure seems to have ample air flow. The jointer was bought used and the first time I hooked up this DC it pulled out a bunch of chips left by the PO.

Bottom line is I'd do this again to insure the machine layout works. Let's just say the ordeal of moving the thing from machine to machine confirmed the shop layout works and it's time to run duct work.

g

Portable DC for new shop