I just finished putting handles in 2 hammers.  Both handles are hickory. Both hammers will be used for woodworking and will not be exposed to any grease.

So..... what finish would you suggest?   Danish oil? Tung oil?  BLO? (boiled linseed oil),  raw linseed oil? Stain then polyurethane? Witches brew? (equal parts of BLO, polyurethane and either naphtha or paint thinner )

I have a couple of old plumb hammers that I purchased new 30 years ago. They were stained red but I cant remember if there was a light coat of poly on them or not.  Most of the finish, including the stain, has long gone away. They still feel good and don't need any work done on them.

On these new hammers I am thinking BLO.

What do you think???

Frankie

As this is still a work in progress, I still have some cleanup to do around the head portion of the handles.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.

(02-11-2018, 10:34 AM)Good old fashioned sweat. Put the hammers to use and the oils in your skin will be plenty. Wrote: I just finished putting handles in 2 hammers.  Both handles are hickory. Both hammers will be used for woodworking and will not be exposed to any grease.

So..... what finish would you suggest?   Danish oil? Tung oil?  BLO? (boiled linseed oil),  raw linseed oil? Stain then polyurethane? Witches brew? (equal parts of BLO, polyurethane and either naphtha or paint thinner )

I have a couple of old plumb hammers that I purchased new 30 years ago. They were stained red but I cant remember if there was a light coat of poly on them or not.  Most of the finish, including the stain, has long gone away. They still feel good and don't need any work done on them.

What do you think???

Frankie

As this is still a work in progress, I still have some cleanup to do around the head portion of the handles.
I coat all my wooden handle tools in BLO.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Another vote for BLO.  I also coat the head and it is a fairly durable rust preventative on the non-wear surfaces.

Phil
(02-11-2018, 10:34 AM)s9plus20 Wrote: I just finished putting handles in 2 hammers.  Both handles are hickory. Both hammers will be used for woodworking and will not be exposed to any grease.

What do you think???

Frankie

Bout twice a year I drag out everything I got that is wooden from chisels to shovels to planes and give them the BLO treatment. Some of them has been getting treated for 35+ years. especially the end grains
I use Tru-Oil, good enough for gun stocks, good enough for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
BLO. 50-50 blo to turp. Do it at 70 degrees. Saturate it and let it sit for an hour. Then wipe it down and let it gas for a week. Mark your calendar and repeat about every three years. Go easy, too much BLO will turn it black.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The first thing I do with new hammer handles, is scrape off the factory finish......it does look nice and shiny, but too slick for my hands.   I also add a wrap of black tape down on the end of the handle....more of a way for my hands to tell when they are too far down..
Winkgrin

[attachment=8177]
Then put them to use.    For some reason, BLO coated handles in my shop start to get green fuzzies...not the most wholesome looking handle..
No

One little tip I learned, when fitting a handle to the head....use a piece of glass to fine tune the fit.   You can scrape away  the waste, and even reshape the handle to fit YOUR hands.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

(02-13-2018, 11:14 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Then put them to use.    For some reason, BLO coated handles in my shop start to get green fuzzies...not the most wholesome looking handle..
No

Caution.....Those may be cooters.....
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I finished them off with a coat of BLO. They turned out great!

Frankie
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
What finish to use on a hammer handle??