I purchased several Bridge City tools ~30 years ago.  At the time they had a policy that you could send in the tool at any time and they would clean and re-calibrate them for free, only shipping costs applied.

Well, of course, the company was sold.  A couple of years ago, I contacted the new company and was informed that the previous policy did not apply BUT I could join their Founders Club (for $75) and then it would only cost me $5 per tool for the same service.

I decided to join the FC and I phone the company to see what the procedure was to submit my tools.  First the lady told me the steps to go through and then she proceeded to actively discourage me from sending in my tools.  She stated it would be a 14-16 week turn around.  That was not an issue with me so I sent them in on 7-31-17.  They received them about a week later.

I called on 1-25-18 which was right at 25 weeks.  I was told that they were not done and they had at least one tool from 2016 still not done!!  That particular tool had been there for over a year!!  I tried several times to ask the lady WHY I was told 14-16 weeks when they had a tool for over a year but she continually interrupted me with a response of "That was the lead time when you called".  How can that be the lead time when you have had a tool for over a year?????  She even said that they only have a part time guy doing this work and he can't keep up.  I kept my cool and I have not called since.

Outside of bitching on this forum, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?  I thought about calling and asking to speak with a manager but who knows, maybe she was the manager!

The only thing I see that could be done is for an opportunist to recognize this long waiting period as a chance to enter the market.
Well, I cannot be of much help, but just curious if this Bridge City Tools website is the one in question?  And, what type of tools did you submit - most seem like smaller hand tools unless other larger ones were made years ago?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina

(02-19-2018, 09:25 AM)giradman Wrote: Well, I cannot be of much help, but just curious if this Bridge City Tools website is the one in question?  And, what type of tools did you submit - most seem like smaller hand tools unless other larger ones were made years ago?  Dave
Smile

That is the one.

Several squares, both 90 and 45 degree models.

I think that most the ones I have are no longer in production.
Wow, at those kinds of prices, you’d think their service would be a lot better.

I will avoid their stuff like the plague.
I have two Bridge City tools. The Master try square and an awl.
Bought them after seeing an ad in FWW many years ago. They
are good tools and I use them occasionally, but they were pricey
when I bought them, on a whim, and I have never been even
slightly tempted to purchase anything else.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
At this point I would just try and get my tools back and write the frustration off.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(02-19-2018, 10:25 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: At this point I would just try and get my tools back and write the frustration off.

^^^
This.  And I'd ask for my $75 back as well.

Let your $75 gain interest in your bank account - not theirs.  It's this kind of thing that irks me with some businesses.  They want an up front deposit or charge or whatever, then sit on it for several months while doing nothing with it.  It's not like in your case they had to order long lead parts.  It's just a calibration and maybe a disassembly / cleaning, reassembly.  If you have the original warranty, I'd peruse the warranty language to see if there is any legal-ese about sale of the company voiding the warranty.  Usually, whoever buys a company assumes liability for all outstanding warranty claims.

Several years ago, I had a lathe from a major lathe manufacturer where the spindle shaft internal threads didn't align properly with the external threads.  I'd get eccentric turnings no matter what I did.  I called their warranty folks (one guy who was also their tech rep) and he tells me that after he verifies my purchase, he'll send me a new headstock spindle.  I suggest that's not something a typical user is comfortable with replacing - especially without instructions.  He says that's all they can do.  I ended up contacting the CEO of the company (the only guy I could find an email address for), and the US-Based president calls me directly to tell me they are firing the US tech rep / warranty guy, and they ended up sending me a brand new lathe and new chuck at no cost to me.  I was very lucky.  I helped them with a quality issue they had on another lathe model, so they were happy to have me involved.  I don't expect that kind of response from every company I deal with.

I wish you luck getting your issue resolved.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree w/ the comment that you should get your tools back.

I'd also demand that they return the $75, as well.

(02-19-2018, 11:54 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I agree w/ the comment that you should get your tools back.

I'd also demand that they return the $75, as well.

Yup. Ask for everything back, then bail. End the frustration
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not very happy with Bridge City tools CS.