Thumbs Down 
Well, I've learned my lesson...no more buying the cheapest possible item, even if it's from a reputable brand. The tool I have in mind is the Bosch ROS I bought a couple months ago. After having repeated problems with cupped backing pads, I finally got one that, when screwed down, was perfectly flat, and the sander worked fine for about a month. Then, I noticed that it was spinning WAY too fast at no-load, and when I put it on the surface, it wasn't going fast ENOUGH and was leaving swirl marks. I looked in the manual and apparently, the damper ring is considered worn when that happens. I thought I'd try taking it off, but my drill adapter (for the correct bit) is too fat to fit into the holes on the side of the sander, and I don't think I currently have anything that can do that, so I can't even replace the ring at this point. However, it's what I noticed next that turned out to be the last straw for me. The pad that was perfectly flat when screwed down has now cupped up at the edges. That's when I decided...I'm DONE with this sander. I wouldn't even feel right selling it to somebody for $20 at this point (or any value, for that matter). Even my old porter cable was WAY more long-wearing than this sander. That one lasted YEARS before any major malfunctions. This one had an issue from the get-go and developed another significant issue within a couple months of buying it. 

I'm going to e-mail Bosch, and I'm gonna see if I can get some kind of credit towards buying their $128 model. I should've listened to my gut on this one...I will also be changing my generous 4-star review on Amazon to a respectful but honest 1-star review. I'm just hoping my Bosch jigsaw that I just got (their cheapest model...go figure
Rolleyes ) will continue to maintain itself as it is now.

I've got nobody to blame but myself on this one, but it's still an annoyance at the end of the day.

I do have one question, though...I've been using the sander to dry sand surfaces with finish on them. Can that fine white powder generated by this mess up a sander, or is this sander really as poorly made as I've come to experience? If that white powder messes up sanders, I don't want the same thing to happen with the $128 model.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser

I have sanded off finish along with all kinds of stuff and it hasn't affected my Makita.  How flat does the pad have to be?  I never checked mine.  After sanding all kinds of contours and edges,  I guess it is far from flat.  It never hurt anything.  The speed thing on the other hand sounds like a problem.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

Sigh......................................................

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

We tried.........

Spinning way too fast, then slow when applied to the surface.

Does that sander have an random orbit 0-ring belt driving the pad? Sounds like what happened to one of my old PC 334 sanders. That belt broke
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-24-2018, 06:55 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: We tried.........

Spinning way too fast, then slow when applied to the surface.

Does that sander have an random orbit 0-ring belt driving the pad? Sounds like what happened to one of my old PC 334 sanders. That belt broke

Doesn't look like it. It specifically says the damper ring is what is responsible for this phenomenon (specifically, the failure of it). I saw no o-ring belt when I took the pad off. The problem started off a bit intermittent and then become permanent.
Near future projects:

(02-24-2018, 07:16 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Doesn't look like it. It specifically says the damper ring is what is responsible for this phenomenon (specifically, the failure of it). I saw no o-ring belt when I took the pad off. The problem started off a bit intermittent and then become permanent.

What model # did you get?

I have one Bosch sander, a 6" one, which has been probably 90% equal to the 150/3 Festool I use most of the time now.
My 5" PC sits over in the corner, pouting mostly.
Laugh  (It's my loaner sander)
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-24-2018, 07:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: What model # did you get?

I have one Bosch sander, a 6" one, which has been probably 90% equal to the 150/3 Festool I use most of the time now.
My 5" PC sits over in the corner, pouting mostly.
Laugh  (It's my loaner sander)

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-24-2018, 04:51 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Well, I've learned my lesson...no more buying the cheapest possible item, even if it's from a reputable brand.......

I've got nobody to blame but myself on this one, but it's still an annoyance at the end of the day.

I do have one question, though.......

Well, I believe that we all know your pain - buying 'cheap' usually means buying again (and again) until the $$ accumulation equals an excellent tool from the start - 
No 

I've been buying tools since the mid-1970s - started out w/ Sears bundles (e.g. 3 electric tools for a hundred bucks), all unsatisfactory and/or failed - since that time, I've probably gone through 4-5 brands of increasingly expensive sanders, now have several Festools & a Makita belt sander - should have invested in the Festools earlier.

I have a number of excellent Bosch tools (router & cordless Li-Ion drill 18V w/ a bunch of bare tools that I'm happy using), and have donated several in the past (sanders & jigsaw - bought the Festool jigsaw) - I believe (and others have commented) that some of these previous well respected brands have gone down hill, especially in their less expensive line/items - I'm keen on looking at reviews and now willing to pay more to step up to a hopefully better product.  Good luck - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina

(02-24-2018, 07:29 PM)giradman Wrote: Well, I believe that we all know your pain - buying 'cheap' usually means buying again (and again) until the $$ accumulation equals an excellent tool from the start - 
No 

I've been buying tools since the mid-1970s - started out w/ Sears bundles (e.g. 3 electric tools for a hundred bucks), all unsatisfactory and/or failed - since that time, I've probably gone through 4-5 brands of increasingly expensive sanders, now have several Festools & a Makita belt sander - should have invested in the Festools earlier.

I have a number of excellent Bosch tools (router & cordless Li-Ion drill 18V w/ a bunch of bare tools that I'm happy using), and have donated several in the past (sanders & jigsaw - bought the Festool jigsaw) - I believe (and others have commented) that some of these previous well respected brands have gone down hill, especially in their less expensive line/items - I'm keen on looking at reviews and now willing to pay more to step up to a hopefully better product.  Good luck - Dave
Smile

I'll post a link to my updated review in the next couple days. I need Bosch to get back to me first, which I doubt will be during the weekend. I do have a Bosch belt sander, and that thing is a beast! I think I got it at a closeout price, as it was less than $200 but frequently goes for like $400 used (which is all you can get...it's not being made new anymore). My jigsaw works fine, although it's their lowest model, so I'll see how it does over time.
Near future projects:

I bought the Bosch $80ish when the belt on my PC went bad.  I ended up returning it and ordering repair parts to fix my PC, I didn't like the Bosch.

I guess the high-end Bosch ($200ish) is supposed to be great.

I had a Makita at one point, I have no idea what happened to it.  Wife may have sold it at a rummage sale during a transitional phase of shop going from garage to basement.
NEVER AGAIN!!! (more cheap buy woes...)