After years of thinking I could use a larger jointer, I finally stepped up and got it done.

Yates American #1  12" jointer.
1,600 pounds of all American iron.

I will need a phase converter to get it into my shop.
Looking forward to seeing this in use 
Yes

Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery

(03-05-2018, 12:11 PM)2beast Wrote: After years of thinking I could use a larger jointer, I finally stepped up and got it done.

Yes

I'd say you stepped up quite a bit!! If this is the only 3 phase machine you have plans for a VFD might be a more reasonable route to get it running .

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Sweet. You and how many others set that in there..........
Cool
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-05-2018, 12:11 PM)2beast Wrote: After years of thinking I could use a larger jointer, I finally stepped up and got it done.

Yes

Oh yeah, that's a beast.  Hopefully it has modern bearings.  I helped my friend Ken Vick acquire a 16" jointer last Winter.  It had a 5 HP, 3 ph motor on it.  We tried a VFD on it and it wouldn't start it.  We ended up using a static phase converter which reduces the HP by about 1/3, but it's still got plenty of torque.  If your 12" has a 3 HP motor I think a VFD will work fine and won't cost a lot.  At higher HP the static phase converter route is likely the easier and cheaper choice, and still provide plenty of power.  Good luck.  

John
If the shop is in a garage, you could always use one of these.  https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212c...60363.html  $96 with a 20% off coupon, and runs like a top.  I replaced my 5 hp Snow King engine with one this winter, and it runs strong and quiet.   
Laugh 

As to the VFD, did you try extending the starting ramp time?  Or try starting the motor with no belt?  If it starts without the belt, you could always clutch it so you start the motor without the cutterhead, then clutch it in with a pivoted motor mount.  Assuming the VFD can handle FLC (or close to it) on single-phase mains power.

Side story, I remember my Dad starting his 8" Craftsman CS by kneeing the motor up to slacken the belt (switch was on the motor base), then letting it down once running, probably due to having to run it on an extension cord.  This was in the 50's, in the cute little post-Korea development house they had back then.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(03-05-2018, 02:34 PM)TDKPE Wrote: As to the VFD, did you try extending the starting ramp time?  Or try starting the motor with no belt?  If it starts without the belt, you could always clutch it so you start the motor without the cutterhead, then clutch it in with a pivoted motor mount.  Assuming the VFD can handle FLC (or close to it) on single-phase mains power.
If your comment was to me, yeah, we tried all kinds of things.  I had a post here and on SMC about it at the time.  Tried about 50 ideas from folks.  None worked.  The supplier on EBay was of no help either.  Money down the drain unfortunately.  We bought the static phase converter from a guy who lives about 15 minutes from us.  Super helpful; actually ended up building a custom size unit for it for all of about $100.    

John

Yes

Cool Awesome

Yes

I can certainly understand looking forward to seeing that run....a great piece of iron!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Yes

What the heck kind of guard is that?  Does it act like a Euro guard where you can move it left/right and up/down?  

John

(03-06-2018, 10:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: What the heck kind of guard is that?  Does it act like a Euro guard where you can move it left/right and up/down?  

John
Seems like a Surty guard to me.
A very American concept........ the only American guard that an European joiner would dare to use
Big Grin

That seems like a very good machine!
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Finally stepped up to a bigger jointer