Hi All - in the middle of a small red oak cabinet project - milling up 4 5-6" wide boards (3-4 ft lengths) - lumber is S2S and about 13/16" thick - just wanted to get down to 3/4" - using a Makita 2012NB (first pic below) - have owned this surface planer since 2004 w/ several blade changes (not a frequent user) - although noticed much less often in the past, the boards today would stop intermittently - a slight tug was successful - my usually cuts are 1-2/32" (about a half crank on top).

I checked the motor brushings (2 in this machine) - both showed plenty of material remaining; took off both sides - oiled the chain which looked similar to the 2nd pic below from web (the tensioner to the right looked identical to mine); the 'belt' on the other side looked fine also - I know that the rollers could be an issue and did not look at them?  SO, any other suggestions or comments - thanks.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina

Are the blades sharp? I had an older Delta that would need help when the blades were dull

Also, have you cleaned the rubber rollers? Wax the bed?

Is the motor stopping or just the stock stops moving?

(03-22-2018, 06:23 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Are the blades sharp?  I had an older Delta that would need help when the blades were dull

Also, have you cleaned the rubber rollers?  Wax the bed?

Is the motor stopping or just the stock stops moving?

Hi & thanks for responding - the blades are likely sharp, i.e. the cuts produce the same type of shavings and there are no defects on the planed surfaces of the wood.  I've not waxed the bed, but will try next.  I have never had the rollers out, so no cleaning has been done - not sure what to use, i.e. saw google searches suggesting alcohol and even steel wool?  The motor does not stop, just the stock and a gentle nudge or tug returns to normal function.  After checking the brushes and oiling the belt, the motor sounds great w/ no wood going through.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina

(03-22-2018, 07:11 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi & thanks for responding - the blades are likely sharp, i.e. the cuts produce the same type of shavings and there are no defects on the planed surfaces of the wood.  I've not waxed the bed, but will try next.  I have never had the rollers out, so no cleaning has been done - not sure what to use, i.e. saw google searches suggesting alcohol and even steel wool?  The motor does not stop, just the stock and a gentle nudge or tug returns to normal function.  After checking the brushes and oiling the belt, the motor sounds great w/ no wood going through.  Dave
Smile

Sounds like the rollers; cleaning in order, but also, it could be that depending on the material they are made of, the "rubber" may have hardened a bit over they years and don't "grab" like they should.  Not sure what to do about that if true.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(03-22-2018, 07:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sounds like the rollers; cleaning in order, but also, it could be that depending on the material they are made of, the "rubber" may have hardened a bit over they years and don't "grab" like they should.  Not sure what to do about that if true.

That's what happened to my 11x17 laser printer.  New in 2000, the drive rollers and separation pads got dry and shiny, and had to be replaced.  Works like new now.

So maybe the rollers have to be replaced after some amount of time or use?  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-22-2018, 07:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sounds like the rollers; cleaning in order, but also, it could be that depending on the material they are made of, the "rubber" may have hardened a bit over they years and don't "grab" like they should.  Not sure what to do about that if true.

Hi Admiral - in the previously posted LINK above, several quotes below suggest that the rollers can 'age' and will not grip the wood as well - believe that I will wax the planer bed and see what happens on my next project - if still a problem, then the rollers will be my next aim - might send Makita an email - will they respond since I've owned this planer for 14 years?  Don't know?  Thanks for all of the responses.  Dave
Smile

Makita replaced the rollers for me after I had used them for a few years.  The tech explained that the rollers are a rubber-like material, and they lose some of their suppleness over time.  So as they get harder, they don't grip as well, and just slip on the wood surface.  No adjustment possible.

The rollers sound like they are glazed or worn out. You can take the sludge off a roller with lacquer thinner. Did i mention you don't want silicone anywhere near this?  Also, wax the bed of your planer with paste wax. This will make a HUGE difference in how well the wood feeds. I keep a Scotchbrite pad in my paste wax can and whip it out to swipe my Makita planer bed frequently. The paste wax won't mess up your finish.  My rollers are original to this machine, bought in 1983, and i've run many, many thousands of board feet through it.
Piedmont North Carolina
Sounds like dull blades, at least that is the symptom on the DW735.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Others have had the same problem.

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/break...r-problems

makita 2012nb troubleshooting

(03-22-2018, 06:34 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Sounds like dull blades, at least that is the symptom on the DW735.

(03-22-2018, 07:06 PM)Lynden Wrote: Others have had the same problem.

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/break...r-problems

makita 2012nb troubleshooting

Thanks Bill & Lynden for the additional comments - could be the blades but I'll leave that until last - will wax the table and if not helpful, then think about the rollers (from the link above).  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
3 different benchtop planers. It was always dull blades when feeding became an issue. The surface may look good, but the motor and feed system are working harder to get that surface.
Makita Planer Momentary Stops/Slips - Causes?