Greetings
I am in the market for a lathe a thought I’d check here for advice. Purpose is pens and bowls. And other things that may come along.

Online reviews point towards the Jet 1221 vs as a great starter. I’ll need to get tools and probably a chuck too. Heck not sure lol

Hate the new website layout btw ?
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.

Go big with EVS.  I realize some turners have more than one lathe, but I do not have the space.  I have a used Jet 1442 because the deal was too good to pass.  Wish I could afford to upgrade to electronic variable speed.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
One rule on lathes is you can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.  If you think you are going to enjoy turning and stick with it, buy the largest lathe you can afford.  Larger lathes generally have more power as well, and can handle any bigger things you want to turn.  Unless you have access to really large turning blanks, I've found my 16" lathe to be plenty adequate for what I do.  I have a Nova DVR.  It runs on 120v, but can be switched to 220v if desired.  Any motor larger than 2HP will likely need 220v to power it.  I upgraded from a Jet Mini, which required a very light touch for bowls, since the 1/2 HP motor was easy to stall with even the smallest of catches (which tends to happen a lot when roughing).  Larger motors will have enough torque to power through and prevent catches.  Some turners take the approach that slow with light cuts gets the job done.  For only $150 more, you can upgrade to a Nova 1642 with a 16" capacity (plus outboard turning to increase capacity), and a 1-1/2" motor.  Not variable speed, but one of the better deals on the market right now.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(04-04-2018, 09:31 AM)AHill Wrote: One rule on lathes is you can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.  If you think you are going to enjoy turning and stick with it, buy the largest lathe you can afford.  Larger lathes generally have more power as well, and can handle any bigger things you want to turn.  Unless you have access to really large turning blanks, I've found my 16" lathe to be plenty adequate for what I do.  I have a Nova DVR.  It runs on 120v, but can be switched to 220v if desired.  Any motor larger than 2HP will likely need 220v to power it.  I upgraded from a Jet Mini, which required a very light touch for bowls, since the 1/2 HP motor was easy to stall with even the smallest of catches (which tends to happen a lot when roughing).  Larger motors will have enough torque to power through and prevent catches.  Some turners take the approach that slow with light cuts gets the job done.  For only $150 more, you can upgrade to a Nova 1642 with a 16" capacity (plus outboard turning to increase capacity), and a 1-1/2" motor.  Not variable speed, but one of the better deals on the market right now.

I like my Nova 3000 (1624)a lot.  It's got good low end at 180, and I know there are rpms of >680 available as well, but I don't use 'em.  Takes 15.75 over the bed

No need to "catch" if you present and use the gouge properly. Just as there's no need for variable rpm, since you can't change it during the cut anyway.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Ok I went and looked at prices on the Grizzly site. Huge price savings. And they’ve got several on sale. :-)
Richard D.
That Nova looks amazing. Not sure if I really want to put that much $$ into something I’ve never tried. I’m kinda thinking something a little cheaper.

I’m looking at this cutie

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-18-...the/T25920

But thinking too of upgrading to this beauty.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-...the/G0632Z

Obviously the 2nd one is much larger.
Richard D.

(04-04-2018, 02:51 PM)stevensondrive Wrote: That Nova looks amazing. Not sure if I really want to put that much $$ into something I’ve never tried. I’m kinda thinking something a little cheaper.
I’m looking at this cutie
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-18-...the/T25920
But thinking too of upgrading to this beauty.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-...the/G0632Z
Obviously the 2nd one is much larger.

I own 2 Grizzly lathes. A G0462, and a G0624Z.
I bought the bed extension for the bench lathe back when they had them.
They are what I could afford at the time. Neither one is VS, but that's not a deal breaker.

I have been able to turn everything from large platters to key chains using both lathes.
If you have a local turning club near you, ask to attend a meeting & see what others are using.
Maybe someone will let you try out their lathe to see if you like it.

Hey, it's worth a shot.
So you are looking to spend up to $1400 to $1500 on a lathe?  Like what was said price is a big thing to help us know what to look for you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yeah I’d say 1400-1500 would be a good limit.

Thanks
Richard D.
You don't have to buy new either.
There are plenty of good lathes available that are used.
Turners are constantly upgrading.
I sold my Nova 1624 after I bought my Nova DVR xp lathe.
The 1624 I bought used from a guy who bought a Powermatic.
The DVR xp I purchased used as well.

I do think that a lot of lathes get sold in local turning chapters and never hit Craigslist or the classifieds. Another good reason to join your local turning club ; networking.
Seeking advice on buying first lathe