Interesting story in the Boston GLOBE this morning.  Tommy MacDonald, late of "Rough Cut Woodworking", is suing public tv station WGBH.  He is claiming copyright infringement over the use of "Rough Cut" in the title of the new show, "Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking" hosted by Tom McLaughlin.  I hadn't realized that MacDonald's show actually resulted from a web-based podcast he had called "The Rough Cut Show."  WGBH picked that up, and the result was a seven-year successor to Norm.  (By the way, I still really miss Norm.)

MacDonald's lawyer filed a suit alleging that the defendants are "attempting to pirate MacDonald's good name, his reputation, and his trademarks."  The suit says that WGBH was allowed to register a trademark for the title of the show, "Rough Cut Woodworking with Tommy MacDonald" but should not have registered stand-alone trademarks "Rough Cut" or "Tommy Mac."  A memo filed in support of the suit states that "MacDonald has been know since the early 2000s as 'Tommy Mac' of "Rough Cut.'

His lawyer says MacDonald is "very saddened" at situation and "looks forwards to having a quick court resolution." 

I just discovered the new show by accident when the second episode was on here in Boston last week.  I also find it interesting that the new host is a Tommy and a Mc, though he is a lot calmer than Tommy Mac.  I wonder how many years this will take to play out.  Did I say I really miss Norm?

I would be very surprised if PBS (WGBH) didn't have TommyMac sign something which gave up the rights to the name Rough Cut when he made the deal for the PBS show. Contracts have mountains of paper, and I'm betting TommyMac either didn't have an attorney review the paperwork, or he just overlooked it. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-28-2018, 08:38 AM)joespehar Wrote: Interesting story in the Boston GLOBE this morning.  Tommy MacDonald, late of "Rough Cut Woodworking", is suing public tv station WGBH.  He is claiming copyright infringement over the use of "Rough Cut" in the title of the new show, "Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking" hosted by Tom McLaughlin.  I hadn't realized that MacDonald's show actually resulted from a web-based podcast he had called "The Rough Cut Show."  WGBH picked that up, and the result was a seven-year successor to Norm.  (By the way, I still really miss Norm.)

MacDonald's lawyer filed a suit alleging that the defendants are "attempting to pirate MacDonald's good name, his reputation, and his trademarks."  The suit says that WGBH was allowed to register a trademark for the title of the show, "Rough Cut Woodworking with Tommy MacDonald" but should not have registered stand-alone trademarks "Rough Cut" or "Tommy Mac."  A memo filed in support of the suit states that "MacDonald has been know since the early 2000s as 'Tommy Mac' of "Rough Cut.'

His lawyer says MacDonald is "very saddened" at situation and "looks forwards to having a quick court resolution." 

I just discovered the new show by accident when the second episode was on here in Boston last week.  I also find it interesting that the new host is a Tommy and a Mc, though he is a lot calmer than Tommy Mac.  I wonder how many years this will take to play out.  Did I say I really miss Norm?

With you completely on the Norm thing - the best ever IMO!

Doug
Norm and Roy....the best 1-2 punch.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Is my memory fading, or did not Tommy Mac register here on Woodnet and ask us for ideas for the PBS show's name?
And was not "Rough Cut" decided on based on our replies?
Or am I way off base?
I miss Norm too.
Ag

(04-28-2018, 10:40 AM)AgGEM Wrote: Is my memory fading, or did not Tommy Mac register here on Woodnet and ask us for ideas for the PBS show's name?
Or am I way off base?
I miss Norm too.
Ag

Yes, that is a true fact.  I remember the discussion well.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-28-2018, 10:40 AM)AgGEM Wrote: Is my memory fading, or did not Tommy Mac register here on Woodnet and ask us for ideas for the PBS show's name?
Or am I way off base?
I miss Norm too.
Ag

I'm remembering that also.

+1 on missing Norm. Tommy Mac was to hyper for my tastes. I wondered if he forgot to take his ADHD meds.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Huh. If I were PBS and just two episodes in, I’d just change the name and move on.

(04-28-2018, 10:51 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Huh. If I were PBS and just two episodes in, I’d just change the name and move on.

In other words, admitting guilt?

Even if the name change were done without prejudice, in the court of public opinions, Tommy would be the winner. I say let the court proceeding run its course.

Simon
As I move along the road of life things like this lawsuit and a whole lot of other life happenings find themselves very quickly filed into the, I could care less basket.
Rough Cut lawsuit