I'm interested in building a shorter version of this table,  but I'm not sure how sturdy the design is.  My wife loves it as is, but I think I would feel the need to add a stretcher between the legs.  Any thoughts on whether or not it's sheer mass is enough to keep things stable or would it be better off with some extra help?

If you will be using stock as thick as shown I'm pretty confident big M&T's will be all that's needed.  As the stock gets thinner the racking resistance will be lessened and you'll need a stretcher at some point.  Just guessing, I think with 8/4 stock you will need a stretcher, but not at 12/4 or thicker. 

John
That thing is massive! And, it looks like a(?) through tenon at the near end. Something like that requires a few beasts just to move it. Nothing else required. I saw one about 30 feet long..  I think it was parked on some outdoor stone decorations (balustrade?). You would kill the impact with a stretcher.
You could always add a steel rod stretcher afterwards with no great difficulty. Or you can go to a local iron railing company and have him make up something more decorative.
[Image: 3154810275_1337489838.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I agree with hbmcc "You would kill the impact with a stretcher".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(05-08-2018, 07:26 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I agree with hbmcc "You would kill the impact with a stretcher".

Yep and the way it is designed in the picture it doesn't need anything else - modify the design in length and you will be fine - change the thickness and you will need to rethink
Thanks for everyone's input.  I think I'll just leave the design as is and save myself the work.  It wouldn't be hard to add a stretcher afterwards if the thing didn't prove to be rock solid.
dining room table design