I am going to get a band saw and am trying to make the final choice. My main features currently 14 or larger, 1 piece frame, 1 1/2 hp or more, 8 or taller clearance. I am currently thinking griz g0513x2 or the 14” g0457. Main use will be general furniture builds. Bow front drawers, arch doors curves in feet’s some resaw. Is one better than the other, other ideas
Thanks for reading
Gary

Gary,   No idea on the GO457,  but I , and a bunch of other posters on this site have the GO513 or one of its variants.  I have the x2 and like it a lot.   If you want to do a lot of narrow curves, the 14 inch may be better,  the 17 inch is fine for general purpose work and resaw, but you may need a different set of guides if you wanted to run very narrow blades, like 1/4 inch or less.  I don't know if the Carter stabilzer has one for the Grizzly saw.  http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-p...stabilizer
One piece euro frame saws, I doubt you can go too wrong with any of them. Laguna, Rikon, Griz, Jet, et alia I guess.
Happy 14 SUV operator here. Not into resaw too often. Mostly rip.
Look for a deal on a better quality, clean, used one. I bought this Delta with riser block and Kreg fence, in like new condition, for $450.

[Image: delta-bandsaw-1.jpg]
Wood is good. 
Hi,

I have had the G0513X2 and it was a nice saw, then I got a Laguna and it for me is a much better saw.  You might want to look at the Laguna 14BX.  Here is a quote from Rockler......

• Resaw Capacity: 12''

• Overall Height: 70-1/4''

• Table Dimensions: 21-1/2'' x 16''

• Table Height from Floor: 38''

• Table Tilt Right: 45°

• Table Tilt Left: 7°

• Dust Ports: (2) 4''

• Blade Length: 115''

• Max. Blade Width: 3/4''

• Min. Blade Width: 1/8''

• Wheel Material: Cast iron

• Footprint: 17-1/2'' x 22-1/2''

• Voltage: 110V

• Motor: 1.75HP, 14A, TEFC

• Light Outlet Voltage: 110V

• 6' Cord w/ Nema Plug: 5-15P
  • Brand:  Laguna

• Manufacturer Part Number: mband14bx110-175 

• Weight (lbs):  320.0000

It is available in a 220v model if you need more oomph.  

it is a fantastic saw.

Hope that helps!

John

Disclaimer:  I am not bashing Grizzly - My three main tools in my shop have their name on it and I love them.  I simply prefer Laguna's Bandsaws over Grizzly.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop

(06-16-2018, 11:34 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: It is available in a 220v model if you need more oomph.  

It should be said that the 220V model has a 2.5 hp motor, while the 110V model has a 1.75 hp motor, which is about as high as you can go on a 20A 120V circuit.  The 2.5 hp version should do just fine on a 20A 240V circuit, as will most 3 hp 240V machines.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have the 0457 and it has done everything that I have asked it to. I have resawed at 10" without a problem. It has plenty of power for what I do. I also have the carter stabilizer for it which works just as advertised.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I'm sure this won't be well received, but for what its worth, I'll add a little contrast.

I bought a cheap, ugly, 14" HF band saw in '94, added a Griz 6" riser, and an HF 3 Horse 220V motor. I've used this thing for 24 years, trouble free, and its done everything I've asked of it. The same can be done today for less than the cost of a stock Griz 555, delivered.  

[Image: P1010001-X2.jpg]

[Image: circle%20jig%20029-L.jpg]
Thanks for all the thoughts. The ability to tweet and improve a unit may not be my best option at this time. I actually had a 10 year old 555 with riser that always did everthing needed. I gave it my son for his shop and want to use this as a chance to step up to a better saw. Looking at the trunnions on the Laguna they look bigger than the g0513x. Does that make a big diff in saw performance. I am now between the 513 and 14bx. With width capacity vs trunnions and maybe frame strength. Are the other factors I have not thought of
Thanks
Gary

(06-19-2018, 07:11 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Thanks for all the thoughts.  The ability to tweet and improve a unit may not be my best option at this time.  I actually had a 10 year old 555 with riser that always did everthing needed. I gave it my son for his shop and want to use this as a chance to step up to a better saw. Looking at the trunnions on the Laguna they look bigger than the g0513x. Does that make a big diff in saw performance.  I am now between the 513 and 14bx. With width capacity vs trunnions and maybe frame strength. Are the other factors I have not thought of
Thanks
Gary

All I know is that in my experience the Laguna is a much smoother running saw.   And everything on it operates smoother.  Blade changes and blade guide adjustments are much easier as well.  Check this video out:  Laguna 14BX

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Band saw choice