I have a Grizzly G0440 dust collector that the remote has stopped working.  It starts when I push the button on the unit it's self, but does not work with the fob.  (Yes I changed the batteries)  Is there a way to test the system to see if it is the fob transmitter or the receiver on the unit?  I hate to get another fob and find out that it was the receiver all along.

Thanks
George

Do you have fluorescent lights?  Try turning them off and try it.  When I first installed my dust collector it was very hit or miss on weather it would turn on or off.  When I installed my JDS air cleaner I had the same problem.  One day I had turned off the lights and was leaving the shop and decided to turn the air cleaner on for an hour to "scrub" the shop.  It came right on without having to get in the perfect spot for the remote to work.  Turned it off, back on, hmmmmmm.  Turned on the lights and tried again, it didn't work until I got in that exact spot with the remote pointed right at it.  So I tried the DC with the lights off.  On off without a hitch, hmmmmm again.  I did a bunch more experimenting and determined that the lights were directly effecting the operation of the DC and the air cleaner.  In the end I installed X-10 noise filters at each light circuit (I have 2) at the first light and that solved the problem.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
(06-23-2018, 11:45 AM)George Wells Wrote: I have a Grizzly G0440 dust collector that the remote has stopped working.  It starts when I push the button on the unit it's self, but does not work with the fob.  (Yes I changed the batteries)  Is there a way to test the system to see if it is the fob transmitter or the receiver on the unit?  I hate to get another fob and find out that it was the receiver all along.

Thanks
George

I don't know of a way  to test it. I had a remote go bad,  but I had two remotes so it was easy to figure out. If it was me I would get one ordered. I like having two remotes . shows in stock in MO. only
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to order another remote.
You could ask the Griz CS guys if there is any way to know, but I'd bet it's the fob....at least that's what happened to all of the ones I've had (3, not Grizzly brand)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Do you have a universal remote, which you program using the original remote?  I don't know if they still make that kind or not.  The way they worked, back in the 1990's, you would point the two remotes at each other and send the signals by pressing keys on the original remote.  The target remote would flash an indicator LED, indicating it received the signal.  If you happen to have one of those, you could try that.  However, those may have been infrared only.  I know at least some of Grizzly's DC's use IR remotes.  I don't know if they all do.

Also, search Google for "Testing IR Signal." There are sights which tell how to use a smart phone camera to see if a signal is sent.

There is an assumption here. The assumption is, if a signal is sent, the pulse is correct. It is possible that IR is emitted, but the pulse sent is not the pulse expected. However, I don't believe that is likely.

For RF remotes, you can use a spectrum analyzer (a bug sweep).  However, it is not likely you have one of those laying around.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

(06-24-2018, 12:24 PM)Cecil Wrote: Do you have a universal remote, which you program using the original remote?  I don't know if they still make that kind or not.  The way they worked, back in the 1990's, you would point the two remotes at each other and send the signals by pressing keys on the original remote.  The target remote would flash an indicator LED, indicating it received the signal.  If you happen to have one of those, you could try that.  However, those may have been infrared only.  I know at least some of Grizzly's DC's use IR remotes.  I don't know if they all do.

For RF remotes, you can use a spectrum analyzer (a bug sweep).  However, it is not likely you have one of those laying around.

For the IR ones look at it through a digital camera while pressing remote button.  You can see it light up.   Roly

(06-24-2018, 12:29 PM)Roly Wrote: For the IR ones look at it through a digital camera while pressing remote button.  You can see it light up.   Roly

Roly, I went back and edited my post to add the camera test, but you beat me to it. 
Laugh
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Grizzly Remote