As part of a purchase I recently made, I came into possession of a 16th century Hebrew Manuscript page which I am looking to frame. I'm using a piece of Peruvian Walnut with subdued grain, and I'd like to put a profile on the front face of the frame. I don't have a router table, though, and the big ones are usually a few hundred dollars or more. Was just wondering what a good benchtop router table would be that would accommodate most routers (mine is a 1 and 3/4 HP Porter Cable).
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser

(07-02-2018, 06:39 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: As part of a purchase I recently made, I came into possession of a 16th century Hebrew Manuscript page which I am looking to frame. I'm using a piece of Peruvian Walnut with subdued grain, and I'd like to put a profile on the front face of the frame. I don't have a router table, though, and the big ones are usually a few hundred dollars or more. Was just wondering what a good benchtop router table would be that would accommodate most routers (mine is a 1 and 3/4 HP Porter Cable).

drill a hole in 3/4" plywood.  Mount router to hole, clamp on a board as a fence.

Easy solution to this problem.

No sense buying something "affordable" when this is free and does the same thing... Save money for a big nice one later?

Just an idea.

(07-02-2018, 07:24 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: drill a hole in 3/4" plywood.  Mount router to hole, clamp on a board as a fence.

Easy solution to this problem.

No sense buying something "affordable" when this is free and does the same thing... Save money for a big nice one later?

Just an idea.

If I could pull that off, that would be ideal. I'll probably BUILD a router table at some point (kinda like Norm did on the NYW), but I've found out the router bits I need for the profile I want on the frame will cost like $70, so if I could get away with plywood I'll do it. Only problem is, where do you mount the piece of plywood the router is on? I don't have a dedicated work bench or any sawhorses (talk about missing the basics, I know, haha).
Near future projects:

(07-02-2018, 08:23 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: If I could pull that off, that would be ideal. I'll probably BUILD a router table at some point (kinda like Norm did on the NYW), but I've found out the router bits I need for the profile I want on the frame will cost like $70, so if I could get away with plywood I'll do it. Only problem is, where do you mount the piece of plywood the router is on? I don't have a dedicated work bench or any sawhorses (talk about missing the basics, I know, haha).

Make a box with the bottom  extending out for clamping to a bench . I used a plywood box with an MDF top on job sites for years. Mine was about 12" high, 12" wide and 16" long. I used a Porter cable 1-1/2 HP router screwed to the top. The base was fitted flush to the top which required beefing up the under side of the top with a square of plywood. I mounted a switched receptacle to the side of the box so I did not have to use the toggle switch on the router. The router comes off quickly when needed. Unplug the cord , Loosen the lock screw and turn the router off the base. I bought a second base so I never had to remove the one from the " table".
My fence was a piece of aluminum angle ,2" x 2" x 1/8". I added a scrap board to the fence so router bits could be buried in the fence when necessary. One end was bolted to the top and the other end was clamped. I cut a rectangular hole in the back to accomadate clamping. The C clamp went under the top and over the fence bottom.
I clamped the box to a pair of trestles when on a job site. I did not bother with dust collection , be warned that you must vacuum the dust in the router after each use or the chips will bind in the screw base.
Would help to remove the motor after each use ,then clean the chips and lube with Dri -Cote or similar.

mike
I have used old school desks I picked up at sales/flea markets.  I have used old microwave stands/entertainment stands people have tossed.  Visit a flea market, you should be able to walk away with something doable for about $10.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Where are you located? Someone here might be able to help you out.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(07-02-2018, 10:02 PM)iclark Wrote: Where are you located? Someone here might be able to help you out.

I'm in Tracy, California. I'll try searching youtube as well...there's gotta be some kind of tutorial out there about making your own mini-router table.

EDIT: I don't usually annotate my edits, but I found this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNTUlcGARA It's got collapsible legs and stuff, and I'm sure clamping on a makeshift fence would be easy. I'm still open to other designs, though, so any suggestions are appreciated!
Near future projects:

Here are some ideas for super simple, wall mounted, folding router tables. Should take less than an hour to assemble.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&s...8quZO-J1FY
Semper fi,
Brad

Before I had a table, I sometimes used a C clamp to clamp my router base to the edge of my bench, or even the edge of a stair tread a few times, for small jobs. It would have been better with the router mounted in a piece of plywood, as the upside down base, is a small work surface.
You could do the same with a step ladder......
Looking for an affordable benchtop router table