I have a quart can of Waterlox that is more than half full that now has a skim coat hardened on the top. How do I get to use the remaining still good Waterlox trapped under the hardened top? At over $30.00 a quart, I hate to throw out more than half a can of still useful finish.

(07-05-2018, 02:05 PM)JSpill Wrote: I have a quart can of Waterlox that is more than half full that now has a skim coat hardened on the top. How do I get to use the remaining still good Waterlox trapped under the hardened top? At over $30.00 a quart, I hate to throw out more than half a can of still useful finish.

Remove the skin and use it.  If it's a little thick add some thinner, I assume mineral spirits.   But if it's like jelly throw it out.  

At $30+/qt. for Waterlox you should get some Bloxygen and shoot that under the lid before closing.  It keeps opened cans of Arm-R-Seal like new.  Alternatively, put clean marbles or stones in the can to keep it "full", or transfer the remaining amount to a smaller jar with very little headspace, or get some of the new plastic bags sold by Lee Valley, and others, that you just squeeze to remove excess air before closing.  

John

(07-05-2018, 03:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Remove the skin and use it.  If it's a little thick add some thinner, I assume mineral spirits.   But if it's like jelly throw it out.  

At $30+/qt. for Waterlox you should get some Bloxygen and shoot that under the lid before closing.  It keeps opened cans of Arm-R-Seal like new.  Alternatively, put clean marbles or stones in the can to keep it "full", or transfer the remaining amount to a smaller jar with very little headspace, or get some of the new plastic bags sold by Lee Valley, and others, that you just squeeze to remove excess air before closing.  

John

Thanks John. I'll take a ride to Lee Valley in Niagara Falls Ont. to pick up some of those bags. I checked my LV wish list and it has about 50 items saved for purchase. Getting those bags will probably cost me a lot of money. 
Winkgrin
(07-05-2018, 03:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Remove the skin and use it.  If it's a little thick add some thinner, I assume mineral spirits.   But if it's like jelly throw it out.  

John
+1 on the Bloxygen. I just opened two cans of Waterlox that were last used 4 years ago and they were as fresh as new.
Bill
(07-05-2018, 02:05 PM)JSpill Wrote: I have a quart can of Waterlox that is more than half full that now has a skim coat hardened on the top. How do I get to use the remaining still good Waterlox trapped under the hardened top? At over $30.00 a quart, I hate to throw out more than half a can of still useful finish.

I pour left over Waterlox into mason jars making sure that I fill the jar to the top with the Waterlox leaving no air.  I add a label.  It seems to last a very long time when stored without any air in the bottle.  Any kind of jar will work if you can seal it well.  I end up throwing out a couple of ounces but the rest remains in good shape.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

(07-06-2018, 07:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: I pour left over Waterlox into mason jars making sure that I fill the jar to the top with the Waterlox leaving no air.  I add a label.  It seems to last a very long time when stored without any air in the bottle.  Any kind of jar will work if you can seal it well.  I end up throwing out a couple of ounces but the rest remains in good shape.

i have probably 50 of the lee valley stop loss bags, and they are fantastic.  they work.  it takes a bit of technique to learn to fill them and such, but it's generally easy, and they keep finish far, far longer than anything else i've used. 

some tips --- get a little funnel, or buy theirs... and get EXTRA CAPS.  the caps break.  have a few spares on hand.  if you have epoxy mixed up for a project, and you have a little extra, dip the top of the cap in the epoxy, that strengthens it dramatically against the top popping off.

i used compressed air to clean out the funnel after the finish has dried to a film.  

good luck!

--- dz

(07-08-2018, 10:11 AM)zaret Wrote: i have probably 50 of the lee valley stop loss bags, and they are fantastic.  they work.  it takes a bit of technique to learn to fill them and such, but it's generally easy, and they keep finish far, far longer than anything else i've used. 

some tips --- get a little funnel, or buy theirs... and get EXTRA CAPS.  the caps break.  have a few spares on hand.  if you have epoxy mixed up for a project, and you have a little extra, dip the top of the cap in the epoxy, that strengthens it dramatically against the top popping off.

i used compressed air to clean out the funnel after the finish has dried to a film.  

good luck!

--- dz
The mason jars are probably cost-effective.  They come in many sizes.  True I end up throwing out a couple of ounces, but rarely more than that.  The jars can be re-used and replacement caps are available.  With small brushes I can paint directly from the jars.  I think the bags work fine; I just don't see the advantage.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

(07-09-2018, 07:19 AM)Cooler Wrote:   I think the bags work fine; I just don't see the advantage.

They don't shatter when they hit the floor. They are easier to use if you want to get a small amount of finish out of the container. Don't misunderstand, I use Mason jars for some things, especially shellac...but I also use the Stop Loss bags and love them. I think having both is useful.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Hardened Waterlox?