How does it work for you?  

LOML's best friend has some on her roof and they seem to like the deal but she hasn't discussed the details with us.

The roof of my new shop is perfectly oriented and has 32'x18' of space.  

Problem is Kentucky's electrical rate is about a dime/KWH so I'm wondering what the payback will be.

Anyone with any experience?
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

(07-06-2018, 05:56 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: How does it work for you?  

LOML's best friend has some on her roof and they seem to like the deal but she hasn't discussed the details with us.

The roof of my new shop is perfectly oriented and has 32'x18' of space.  

Problem is Kentucky's electrical rate is about a dime/KWH so I'm wondering what the payback will be.

Anyone with any experience?
Confused

Many things to look at. Are you renting or buying the system. What type panels are you getting Wattage rated difference. Reliable installer. Who pays for damage to roof. How old is roof. If you electric bill is peanuts not worth it. You do not have to worry about ice dams building up but others do. What kind of rebates can you get and when . How long is warrenty. How long before you start seeing a plus. When people put them on their homes they may run into problems selling the home. New owner may not want them or if being rented may not want to pick up deal. Who pays to take off. Who fixes roof if removed. So many questions to be asked. I would never install them on my house.
John T.
It's been a while since I did a cost analysis, but at 10 cents, it pretty much doesn't pay off before the equipment gets to end of useful life. Even with the federal tax credit.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Find a local installer. Most will give you a quote and walk you through the options and determine ROI. I am solar curious but I get stuck by the fact of if I'm going to put up panels, I should really replace the roof first and then I don't have the funds for all that (roofing itself doesn't have an ROI).
At 10cents per kWh there is no way it makes sense unless you buy the system from a wholesaler and install it yourself. Regardless, if you do get solar, do not lease. Also, determine how much life your roof has left. I make good money replacing roofs from people who've got solar and after a few years they need a new roof. Removing and replacing the panels is not cheap. Also, take pics of roof before and after the solar install. Solar installers have a knack for ruining perfectly good roofs.
My brother has solar panels in a field instead of on the roof. Do not know whether they are leased or purchased. Having them in the field avoids damage to the roof and makes it easier to remove snow in the winter.
After using panels in my sailboat for a number of years, I would not put on roof.
I would want a setup, that would turn during the day to track the sun.
From my experience, it would at least double or triple the output.
No roof problems.
A lot more output.
Less panels needed.
I wish there was an inexpensive controller, for some who had just a few panels, to feed the grid. Still have a few of the panels.
A solar company. called, and when I said my bill averaged $120./mo, they weren't interested. That was for a full setup, not my panels.
Solar rocks on a sailboat.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

(07-18-2018, 12:22 PM)Pirate Wrote: After using panels in my sailboat for a number of years, I would not put on roof.
I would want a setup, that would turn during the day to track the sun.
From my experience, it would at least double or triple the output.
No roof problems.
A lot more output.
Less panels needed.
I wish there was an inexpensive controller, for some who had just a few panels, to feed the grid. Still have a few of the panels.
A solar company. called, and when I said my bill averaged $120./mo, they weren't interested. That was for a full setup, not my panels.
Solar rocks on a sailboat.

Back in the day, solar trackers were cheaper than panels. You get about 25-35% benefit using a single axis tracker and 35 to 45% using a two axis tracker. These days, panels are so cheap, its not worth the expense and reliability hit you take with a tracker for most folks. Apparently you still see trackers in northern areas due the the huge change in sun angle over the year.

You don't see small grid-tied systems generally. The safety features make it too expensive for the small benefit. A bigger inverter needs a minimum number of panels to light off, so you can't just use a bigger grid tied inverter for a few panels.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Also check on geothermal options.  It may offer greater savings (but at a higher initial cost).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It it wasn’t for the rebate from the federal government, solar is a financial negative. Someday it will be worth it but we are not there yet.
Anyone have solar panels on their roof?