Hi all, I am looking at relocating to Hilton Head Island, S.C. I am finding several condos right near the beach and my work but none with garages to use as a workshop. I currently use a large 2 car garage as my workshop where I’m at now but I guess real estate is at such a premium down there I’m just not finding any condos with garages at least within my price range. Does anyone here who lives in a condo or apartment have any experience or ideas of having a workshop away from home? I’ve thought about possibly renting one of these storage units or say some kind of rental space that might provided power back on the mainland somewhere but have a somewhat slim budget to work with. Any ideas from others living in condos or apartments I’d appreciate
Thanks

(07-07-2018, 12:33 PM)matthewsutton Wrote: Hi all, I am looking at relocating to Hilton Head Island, S.C. I am finding several condos right near the beach and my work but none with garages to use as a workshop. I currently use a large 2 car garage as my workshop where I’m at now but I guess real estate is at such a premium down there I’m just not finding any condos with garages at least within my price range. Does anyone here who lives in a condo or apartment have any experience or ideas of having a workshop away from home? I’ve thought about possibly renting one of these storage units or say some kind of rental space that might provided power back on the mainland somewhere but have a somewhat slim budget to work with. Any ideas from others living in condos or apartments I’d appreciate
Thanks

Check out Steve Hay. He set up a workshop in a spare bedroom and strives to keep the noise and dust to a minimum. I have no connection with him except to subscribe to his channel. Here is a link to his In-House workshop tour, perhaps this will give you some ideas of your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FzwyXxhoAg

Good luck
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(07-07-2018, 12:33 PM)matthewsutton Wrote: Hi all, I am looking at relocating to Hilton Head Island, S.C. I am finding several condos right near the beach and my work but none with garages to use as a workshop. I currently use a large 2 car garage as my workshop where I’m at now but I guess real estate is at such a premium down there I’m just not finding any condos with garages at least within my price range. Does anyone here who lives in a condo or apartment have any experience or ideas of having a workshop away from home? I’ve thought about possibly renting one of these storage units or say some kind of rental space that might provided power back on the mainland somewhere but have a somewhat slim budget to work with. Any ideas from others living in condos or apartments I’d appreciate
Thanks

Caveat: my shop is where I make my living: When we moved to Florida, finding a house with detached garage for my shop was just not an option. Very few here.

So I rent a light industrial space, right at 1100 square feet. $675.00/mo three years ago, up to $795.00 now. All I pay extra is electric (average $35.00/mo) water and trash included.

The shop is about 20 minutes from the house. I’d love it closer to home, but not an option at the moment. 

Without a doubt, having a detached garage shop at the house is what I really want, but I like having the space.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Around here they are selling garages with full heat and power that people uses for hobbies - car work, wood work, etc. Might be something around there. They treat these like condos where you can make changes and then sell it when you are done.
7 x 20 utility room in my condo.
I work with it....
Respect your neighbors rights (noise time appropriate).
If your neighbor asks you to build something, reasonable.... just do it pro bono.
Hand tools are a joy.
(07-07-2018, 12:33 PM)matthewsutton Wrote: I’ve thought about possibly renting one of these storage units or say some kind of rental space that might provided power back on the mainland somewhere but have a somewhat slim budget to work with.

Sounds like an option.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A condo and a workshop are basically incompatible.

I had a picture framing business I ran out of my condo.  But I bought the mouldings pre-mitered from a framing service.  The rest of the process is essentially silent.  But storing the mat cutter, mat boards, dry mounting press, etc. was a chore.  

If you are planning on renting space for $700.00 per month, you might do well to spend that additional money for a house rental instead of a condo + space rental.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

A couple of other options
a - maker's space - becoming more common, usually monthly fee subscription - vary in what machines available, lean a bit toward computer (CNC, laser cutter, 3D printer, etc) but often have machine equipped wood working shop.
b - local woodworking club to explore available options. = other shared shops, woodshop at local retirement community.
c - use shared shop for big,loud, dusty machines, used back bedroom for handwork, assembly, finish, etc.
d - organize local church to set up a shared workshop.
e - make hand tool Windsor chair on your front porch (they still make porches don't they)

Ray Knight
Here are a couple of shops in small apartments.  The second one is pretty extreme, and was presumably made elsewhere but allows work in a very small space without making a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/user/justin999999999/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGiuEk4...c1g/videos
Rent a house with garage.
Workshop when living in a condo?