I built a router table and I am considering putting  a protective finish on the outside. If  i do I was thinking of sealing it with a coat of shellac and then a couple of coats of poly. What do you kind and knowledgeable posters think I should do?

I'd hit it with a couple of rattle cans of spray shellac and call it a day.

Sounds like you will be mostly finishing vertical surfaces, so I don't think anything sturdier than shellac would be required.

And rattle cans because I always have 1-2 hanging around.
I put formica on mine......
(08-15-2018, 06:32 PM)pebbles Wrote: I built a router table and I am considering putting  a protective finish on the outside. If  i do I was thinking of sealing it with a coat of shellac and then a couple of coats of poly. What do you kind and knowledgeable posters think I should do?

I wouldn't use a film finish if you're talking about the table surface. In the past on one, and my workbench I did about 5 coats of paste wax only. Big fan of that cause it reduces friction on the surface and is easy to refresh once a year when I do my cast iron surfaces. 

For the base, whatever you want to do is OK. I agree with just the rattle cans of shellac cause its quick and easy. But I've used shop stuff as practice for finishes in the past. I found Arm-R-Seal to be awesome only cause I used it on some shop stuff. If I wouldn't have tried it there, I likely wouldn't have ever tried it.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

You're talking about the cabinet?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes  I am talking about the cabinet the top will have a type of formica. Sorry I did not specify.
Then what you want to do would be just fine. So would paint, or pretty much anything else. I didn't finish the cabinet on mine, and it's still in very good shape (plywood cabinet, solid wood may be different) after 15 years.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For just the cabinet, why bother with shellac and poly? 
Either/or would be fine, both may be overkill, but it’s your shop so you get to do what you want.

I am building an updated version of my Folding Router Table for episodes 1&2 of Woodcademy season 2. I used whiteboard for the top surface (1/8” hardboard coated with melamine) 5/8” press board in the center and 1/2” baltic birch ply for the bottom. The Folding Stand is made from 2x8s so I just did swipe on poly for the wood edgeband and the exposed ply face. Spray cans will be easier for a cabinet.

The original lasted 6+ years so I have been happy with it.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I put plastic laminate on the top. I just mixed together left over paint for the cabinet. Cheap and easy to make it easier to clean off the dust.
Finishing a Router Table