Thumbs Down 
Why cannot companies cut glass to the size I specify? Real glass companies and Ace Hardware(2 different stores)!!

Been happening for years. Several years ago, I made about 15 flag display cases. Made a luaun template. Made it smaller by at least 1/16". About half the pieces were too big. Doing window repair---often the template was cardboard or construction paper----about half were too big. Glass for picture frames---ply or foam board templates---almost every one too big.

I just got a piece cut today(Ace) sized it at 12&3/8" by 18&3/4" , both a full 1/8" less---the 12 side was too big!!!!

I tell the fellows to make the glass a smidge smaller than the template---cut the inside of the marker line---leaving the line.

Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset
Upset 

The glass today was a door in the entertainment center(puppy/knotted rope/playing by herself). Had to pull the door and chisel out the dado to fit the glass.
Upset
Upset

Take one of your Flag cases (or any other project you choose), your template, and their freshly cut piece of glass; go back to the "glass store" and wait.

Repeat as necessary until they know to try harder next time - or let them suggest a better location for you to purchase glass.

Make sure you have them initial your template - and that it fits your project, on the first trip.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I never have any problems, but I always write my expected tolerances, typically +0 -1/16”, in bold on both sides of the template. That way they know to sand to the line if they miss.
Get a quality glass cutter and cut your own.
I make a fair number of flag cases and thought I could not cut glass. Then a guy I know that does window repair set me up with a good cutter. Easy now

I had my own frame shop and I ended up cutting all my own glass.  Before that I did occasional frames and had the same experience.  The resolution was to make the frame first and bring it with me to the glass shop and say, "I need a piece of glass to fit this frame".

At that point the burden of the fit becomes the glass shop's, not mine.  It is the only way to get 100% good results.

Note:  Glass shops buy glass with a sand-like grains of wax between layers.  It makes removing the glass easier and protects the glass from scratching.  It also out-gasses and old glass may have a film that is impossible to clean off.  So examine the glass at the glass shop for clarity.

A better choice (but possibly more expensive) is to buy the glass from a picture framer.  The glass I got from a vendor that specialized in frame shops was paper interleaved.  This is a more expensive way to package but protects the glass better and leaves the glass cleaner.  

The frame shop glass also has fewer imperfections.

A good frame shop will also carry anti-reflection glass (expensive), and museum glass (UV absorbing, and also expensive).  Though those more exotic glass options are more expensive they might be worth it to you.  

And, of course the frame shop is familiar with fitting glass to frames.  But again, bring the frame, or case with you for fitting.  Avoid Saturdays as they are very busy selling on Saturdays.  The rest of the week is more production than selling.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think its an attention to detail issue. Unfortunately, there are some dumb kids out there. I give them the dimensions, tell them it needs to be square. When I pick it up I check it for size, if it's not right I tell them to cut it again, I'll wait.

We have a ton of 8 light windows at our club, I think we had 32 panes that had cracks in them. I gave the hardware the MAX size and they had to be square or I wouldn't accept them. When I picked them up an older gentleman was finishing them up. Every single pane was perfect.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I have used the same family shop for years... two decades worth.  Way back when I worked in the metro area, it was on my way to HQ.  I could drop off my specs and pick up the panels on the way in when they were ready.  Always quality work and since they knew they were for display cases they rolled the edges.  These days, it's an hour's drive each way.  We drive in and drop off the requests, have lunch, do some shopping and pick up the finished glass, IF the shop isn't too busy to accommodate.  If the are backed up, we repeat the trip and lunch in town when the order is ready, and bring the project piece to test fit.  They haven't missed yet.

(Plus they enjoy seeing each project.)

Smirk

We tried a closer shop once. Poor attitude from the front office, owner's mom. Then the glass didn't fit, after waiting a week for the work. He said it would be several days until he could recut it. I told him not to bother. I knew someone with better customer service, and who could cut it right the first time.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I tried cutting my own. Two problems, no space to cut, no space to store glass. I actually found a fellow giving away 20 5' by 3' single pane windows for free. Picked up 10.
I guess I did not have the proper cutter, because I never could cut what I needed.

Was never kids cutting at any of the places I tried. I still cannot understand why people with high dollar glass cutting machines cannot cut square/rectangular pieces to a correct size. I can understand the problems with cutting triangles. There was one shop that got most right, but they only did about 10 and declined to do any more.

When I do normal sized frames, I go to WalMart or a hobby store and buy the cheapest frames in that size. Often the entire frame is less expensive than having a single glass cut.

I seem to recall advertised tolerances for cutting single pane window glass is +/- 1/8"

YMMV, naturally - but I would ask the tolerance and plan accordingly.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Never had a problem when I had the glass shop order some of that $300.00 a sheet specialty glass.
It was there dime they were cutting up, until I paid them at pick-up time.
Older guy, owned the glass shop, had been there since dirt was invented. Knew what he was doing.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Glass rant!