So I have this old Steel City bandsaw, which was just given to me to replace my spindly little Craftsman bandsaw (which you can see in the background). 

[Image: 29764531957_d240496c6c_z.jpg]

It's a beast of a saw.  Only problem is, both trunnions on the table are busted.

Here's the damage:

[Image: 44652999312_07cceb75a3_z.jpg]

[Image: 29764530307_4c927217d3_z.jpg]

Looking at them, I can see why they broke.  A brittle casting has to both support the full weight of the granite table AND withstand the torque on the nuts that hold it in place. 

So, question is, now that Steel City is out of business, can I get replacement trunnions anywhere else?  Anybody else have his problem and come up with a clever fix?  I see there are some generic trunnions available on Amazon.  I wonder if they will fit?

What does the brain trust say?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

(09-15-2018, 04:09 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: So, question is, now that Steel City is out of business, can I get replacement trunnions anywhere else?  
The first thing I would do is to take an old trunnion to my local Harbor Freight to see if matches the one on their bandsaw. You can order replacement parts from them.

Here's a pic from the Harbor Freight manual:

[Image: 30831727588_b255f9349b_c.jpg]

Also, Grizzly sells replacement trunnions for the G0555 for $7 each that look just like yours.   Their part number is P0555LA35101-TRUNNION.  But without being able to directly compare it to yours, it's difficult to be certain they'll fit.
[Image: 29765350407_626705800d_z.jpg]

Mike
Heck, if the griz parts are even close, its worth a shot for $14. I never got the concept of a granite table. You might want to price out a griz cast iron table, I'll bet it would fit. If not, return it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

If there is enough clearance, you might be able to make replacement trunnions from hardwood.
Concur with either sourcing something from Griz or HF, or making you own, you do have another BS that can cut the curves.  Those guides are made of a zinc alloy, commonly referred to as "pot metal".  Just be careful on the screws that go into that granite table, dont torque em too much one way or another.  Most likely the granite was drilled and inserts glued in that were threaded for the screws.  Either the glue or the granite could be brittle enough to give way with enough twist.

The granite tables on these Asian tools were a gimmick that was popular for a couple of years.   I think the only advantage they may have had was that you didn't have to worry about rust, but if you take care of cast iron, its not that big an issue either.
Amazon has some https://www.amazon.com/trunnions-wood-ba...op?ie=UTF8

(09-16-2018, 11:26 AM)Woodworm! Wrote: Amazon has some https://www.amazon.com/trunnions-wood-ba...op?ie=UTF8

from reviews .....
Perfect fit. Used on my father-in-laws Steel City 14" bandsaw. Unbelievable quick time from order to receipt. Great job! He is very pleased with purchase.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(09-16-2018, 12:36 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: from reviews .....
Perfect fit. Used on my father-in-laws Steel City 14" bandsaw. Unbelievable quick time from order to receipt. Great job! He is very pleased with purchase.

Music to my ears!  Thanks for digging that up for me. 

I think I'm going to try those and see how they fit.  As somebody mentioned above, if all else fails, I can try to make myself some wooden ones.  It would be a pain, but I think I have the skills and materials to do it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

(09-16-2018, 03:50 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Music to my ears!  Thanks for digging that up for me. 

I think I'm going to try those and see how they fit.  As somebody mentioned above, if all else fails, I can try to make myself some wooden ones.  It would be a pain, but I think I have the skills and materials to do it.

before you order, check out the second page of questions and answers...according to the seller, they fit all Steel Cities EXCEPT the granite top ones.
Bob
(09-16-2018, 10:00 PM)BobW Wrote: before you order, check out the second page of questions and answers...according to the seller, they fit all Steel Cities EXCEPT the granite top ones.

Can you take one of the busted ones off and measure it for the spacing of the holes and compare it to the Griz part or see if somebody has a delta or clone and have them measure theirs?   I would do that before just ordering parts and trying them out when they are delivered.  Might save a couple of steps.

Even if you cant find ones that exactly match up, you could conceivably epoxy replacement ones to the underside of the table, as long as you get the positioning right.  After this, just dont do anything that could crack the replacements, otherwise you're knee deep in do do...
Steel City Bandsaw Table Trunnions