All this refrigerator talk reminded be of another "to do" item on the list.

As far as I know, this fridge was installed as such when the house was built in '93. (We've been here since 03). The water line is fed with a self tapping saddle valve. Never seemed ideal to me, but it hasn't failed either. WxMan mentioned "doing it right" in another thread. So now I'm asking what does that mean?

My plan without yall's input would be a T in the copper line (in crawl space) somehow leading through the floor behind fridge with a threaded termination sp that a compression fitting will go from that to fridge with flexible line (what kind? Plastic that comes with fridge. Is there a braided SS for this application?)

To most, I think "doing it right" would be one of the connection boxes in the wall. It will have a valve for shut off, and the ones I've had were fed by a 1/2" pipe. They are nice, and a few retailers around me won't hook up your water if you don't have that box (kinda looks like a small washer hook up box, no drain and only cold water). Our house isn't old (built in '98) and still doesn't have that box, and when we moved the fridge during a remodel I still elected to stay with the small hole in the floor and the existing saddle valve. This arrangement has worked well for years for us, though I'm sure some folks have had problems of one kind or another with the saddle valves.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(09-26-2018, 08:00 AM)fredhargis Wrote: To most, I think "doing it right" would be one of the connection boxes in the wall. It will have a valve for shut off, and the ones I've had were fed by a 1/2" pipe. They are nice, and a few retailers around me won't hook up your water if you don't have that box (kinda looks like a small washer hook up box, no drain and only cold water). Our house isn't old (built in '98) and still doesn't have that box, and when we moved the fridge during a remodel I still elected to stay with the small hole in the floor and the existing saddle valve. This arrangement has worked well for years for us, though I'm sure some folks have had problems of one kind or another with the saddle valves.

When I did mine after getting a new Frig, I did the T connection to a water pipe in the basement, then over to PEX, then up thru the floor to a shut-off valve to a 3/8" braided hose to said new Frig.

The old Frig used ice-machine tubing that was always developing pin holes and misting water.
WoodTinker
I used a valve like this behind the refrigerator.   Orientate the valve so the line to the refrigerator is parallel to the wall, not coming straight away from the wall to prevent damage if box is shoved too far back.  They also make recessed boxes for the valves.  Yes they make the stainless steel braided lines for this.    The self piercing saddle vales will clog up after a while as someone said.  They do make one that you drill the pipe for but are hard to find.   Roly

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIwkRpYB-PcFAPu-FYpbS...uAo76uCSbw]
I don't trust the clamp on valve.
I took it from 3/4" npt to 1/4" npt with a ball ***** then flared to a filter and 1/4" copper to the fridge.

Really? Can't call a valve what it is? Ridiculous- must be the dumbest thing I've heard of on a tool forum? We're not kids here! Bye!
My idea of doing it right, is having it's own connection, with a *shutoff valve*, in a convenient place to get to.
You don't want to be crawling under the house in the dirt and rat doo doo to reach the shutoff when the line has broken and is flooding the kitchen floor.

Our connection and shutoff is under the sink.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When our 1st gen polybutyl pipe valve broke and flooded us out we had the entire house piping replaced by a licensed plumber. The house nver had the recessed dedicated line and valve. It does now. our restoration company is not a franchise and have a great rep. I mentioned to them I see a lot of restoration start ups and asked if thefe was really that much work. One of the biggies they said was failed fridge lines slowly leaking over time. That's when we asked our plumber install the "right" assembly.

(09-26-2018, 06:21 PM)whatline Wrote: When our 1st gen polybutyl pipe valve broke and flooded us out we had the entire house piping replaced by a licensed plumber. The house nver had the recessed dedicated line and valve. It does now. our restoration company is not a franchise and have a great rep. I mentioned to them I see a lot of restoration start ups and asked if thefe was really that much work. One of the biggies they said was failed fridge lines slowly leaking over time. That's when we asked our plumber install the "right" assembly.

I've heard a lot of that...impressive that ours has lasted for 25 years!
So here is what I am thinking...maybe do it tonight:

Shark Bite Tee on the 1/2" copper pipe in crawl space with a PEX line coming out.  It is about 60" to existing hole in floor.

Will go up through floor joist, poke a hole in the wall and put an ice maker outlet box in the wall which includes a shutoff valve.  That will either be a PEX or Shark Bite if I can't make a PEX connection with what they have.

Will get a SS braided hose from there.

I know there are mixed opinions on Shark Bites.  This will not be in the wall...I don't think I'd put them in a wall, but we'll give them a try in the crawl space.  I am just not that good at sweating pipe - especially with water in it. Also no easier way to get from copper to PEX...

Should I put a shutoff valve before the tee?

Will the SS feed hose get pinched when we push the fridge back in?

Anything else I need to know?
It is finished.

Only 1 trip to the store (well, went to 2 stores, but both before starting).

I did end up with the Sharkbite tee into PEX into a Sharkbite ice maker outlet which has a shutoff valve.

Thanks all!

Hardest part:  peeling the refrigerator off of the wall where it stuck to the paint.

[attachment=13420]
[attachment=13421]
Water line for fridge