Can anybody refer me to a site where I can get a set of plans for bench for a mudroom?  I built one earlier out of Brazilian mahogany, salvaged from some flooring. However, even though it supported my weight and my Granddaughters. someone with more avoirdupois than normal sat on it and it collapsed.  What was interesting was that none of the joints failed (M&T and angled M&T). Yeah me! However, the wood itself failed and split in several areas.

I've decided to build another one but from birch this time. I'm looking for a simple plan for a bench about 48" long and maybe 10 - 12" deep. I need a shelf under the bench to hold shoes, slippers, etc. 

All the plans I've found are for garden benches or fancy hallway entry benches. Nice - but not what is needed here. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a site with a set of plans for a simple bench. I might try designing my own, but I thought I'd ask first.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!

2x4 frame, prettied up however you'd like.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Try a google search on 2x4 bench plans. Lots of stuff there that can hold a few pounds.  They are generally easy to build as well. Although you can add complicated joinery, etc.
How do these people sit without collapsing normal chairs? [A rhetorical question.]

Following is one that will work: 
Shaker Stool by Christian Becksvoort for Fine Woodworking. Note, his stool is small. As an inset to the article, Mike Pekovich scaled it up to 11 deep x 40 wide x 18 tall; brackets are 11.5 inches and seat overhang is 2.75 inches; in case all you can get is the small plan. All you need do is google my title, above, and images will pop up. Proportionally oversize everything.

I am not fond of the large through-M-and-T's Becksvoort used for the legs. I would divide them into thirds with smaller mortises; 4 mortises per side. A shelf for shoes will easily compensate for any weakness in reduced tenon size. A dado for the shelf should include a sliding dovetail. 

BTW, no accusation, but since I offer some construction points the following caveat is listed. I have very little faith in heavily marketed dowels, biscuits, or big screws into end grain. They are simply expensive over-sized nails that mangle wood connections.

Good building!

(10-10-2018, 12:19 PM)hbmcc Wrote: How do these people sit without collapsing normal chairs? [A rhetorical question.]

Following is one that will work: 
Shaker Stool by Christian Becksvoort for Fine Woodworking. Note, his stool is small. As an inset to the article, Mike Pekovich scaled it up to 11 deep x 40 wide x 18 tall; brackets are 11.5 inches and seat overhang is 2.75 inches; in case all you can get is the small plan. All you need do is google my title, above, and images will pop up. Proportionally oversize everything.

I am not fond of the large through-M-and-T's Becksvoort used for the legs. I would divide them into thirds with smaller mortises; 4 mortises per side. A shelf for shoes will easily compensate for any weakness in reduced tenon size. A dado for the shelf should include a sliding dovetail. 

BTW, no accusation, but since I offer some construction points the following caveat is listed. I have very little faith in heavily marketed dowels, biscuits, or big screws into end grain. They are simply expensive over-sized nails that mangle wood connections.

Good building!
I did notice that the furniture in the house was extra sturdy!

I found a picture that 's close: [attachment=13617]

I'm thinking about a modified box joint using 2X4s as the cross members for the seat and mortised into a 2X6 for the legs. I'll put a dowel through from front to back and Titebond glue on the dowel to hold it in place. With a 2-3" overhang on each end and a shelf screwed to a strut near the bottom and reinforced with simple corbels to prevent racking as shoes, etc. are applied.
Jim

(10-10-2018, 04:45 PM)5thumbs Wrote: I did notice that the furniture in the house was extra sturdy!

I found a picture that 's close: 

I'm thinking about a modified box joint using 2X4s as the cross members for the seat and mortised into a 2X6 for the legs. I'll put a dowel through from front to back and Titebond glue on the dowel to hold it in place. With a 2-3" overhang on each end and a shelf screwed to a strut near the bottom and reinforced with simple corbels to prevent racking as shoes, etc. are applied.
I've made benches out of 2Xs like you describe for the garden.  Instead of a dowel through the joint, I used a threaded rod with a countersunk fender washer and nut on each end, which pulls it all together very nicely and is super strong.  I just left the nuts exposed, but you could conceal them with plugs.
Bob
Wow! You have some hefty friends!
Smirk
That bench could probably support a car. I think it will work.  Maybe add a couple extra squirts of glue and a few extra screws though.  
Laugh
Kitchen cabinets hold up slabs of granite.  I think one vertical piece of ply every 18" will do fine.  So make the entire thing from 3/4" ply just like you would make a kitchen cabinet.  Add faceframes if you like.  

Anna White posts some simplified construction plans.  You might want to use more sophisticated joinery.  But since her site is sponsored by Kreg, you can be sure that they review her designs.  In fact I think it is possible that Anna White is in name only and that the site is almost certainly a Kreg site at this time.

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/09/smiling-mudroom

[Image: 39EqTfqcFT1goUbx9a-6naoH0aeYcM7wXvMQ8nSHZov8=w700]

https://www.google.com/search?q=ana+whit...SqpBbO-zFM:
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

(10-11-2018, 03:44 PM)Cooler Wrote: Kitchen cabinets hold up slabs of granite.  I think one vertical piece of ply every 18" will do fine.  So make the entire thing from 3/4" ply just like you would make a kitchen cabinet.  Add faceframes if you like.  

Anna White posts some simplified construction plans.  You might want to use more sophisticated joinery.  But since her site is sponsored by Kreg, you can be sure that they review her designs.  In fact I think it is possible that Anna White is in name only and that the site is almost certainly a Kreg site at this time.

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/09/smiling-mudroom

[Image: 39EqTfqcFT1goUbx9a-6naoH0aeYcM7wXvMQ8nSHZov8=w700]

https://www.google.com/search?q=ana+whit...SqpBbO-zFM:
Thanks, everyone - some really good tips here.
Jim

Need Plans for a Mudroom bench that can support large a$$es.