So I'd like to install a built-in step stool in my kitchen, maybe 2 or three. 
I came across this www.hideawaysolutions.com, but while I appreciate quality work and innovative ideas I simply ain't paying 3-5 times the cost of a standard cabinet for a simple built in step stool.

I found this idea www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OHspLL0Zm4 
and this idea www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX6_LyMWic
which are leaning towards another idea I have of something collapsable that slides under the cabinet like a drawer. But I haven't found where to buy these and they're not really what I'm looking for anyway. One can get lost and the other is not enough surface for us to stand on.

I'm thinking of something that would pull out from the toe kick like a drawer and then unfold up into a step stool. I've been searching for products, ideas, and plans, but haven't found any such thing yet. All of the collapsable step stool ideas are just folding steps that one would carry away.
Perhaps I'm not using the right combination of search words, or what I'm looking for is not found on the first ten pages of my search results.

The other idea that I may end up doing is to just get a step stool that folds up enough to slide into the most narrow slot I can make for it in between cabinets somewhere. This will work, but I know my family and that the stupid step stool will be left out and tripped over 
Rolleyes  (not good especially in a kitchen), or, as my father used to say, it will grow legs and walk away 
Laugh   I'd rather have something built in that can't be walked away and will have to be put away when finished using it.

I suppose I could manage to make my own version of something like the hideaway idea above and maybe I will, but first I'm fishing for ideas here on how I can make a step stool that will be built into the toe kick - and any other ideas you may have to offer.
thanks!
Ray
Ray

Top cabinet shelves are almost 7tt from the floor.
So I guess about 18 inches will be adequate to comfortably reach and safely handle heavier things we might put up there.
This is with consideration for my wife’s needs.

I’m thinking of that idea too, but the thing I don’t like about it as I stated is the grow legs and walk away factor that I’m sure will happen ... and my wife is as likely to cause that as are the kids!
Ray
I have a small kitchen but the entire run of cabinets goes almost to the ceiling. One pull out step stool by the corner places just right could provide access to the top shelf of three cabinets. One placed between the dishwasher and the stove - two, maybe a third.

Thanks for the videos. The first is really no better than just buying one but more work for me to make it lol with no added benefit. The other one would be nice but I’ll have to figure out how to make one as I ain’t paying that much for it. If it was $100 I would buy 2 or 3 for my kitchen. If it was $200 I might consider buying two. But at almost $600 a piece I’m thinking they are only willing to do business with high end clients, or know the idea will be stolen so they’re trying to make as much as possible now, or have a lot of liability claims and insurance to pay for or anticipated. Something is awry there as that’s simply way too much imho
What is amusing is that they claim it can hold up to 200 lbs but with that claim they clearly show it holding probably 400 lbs of people standing on it together.
Ray
I have a step stool the fits into a narrow (about 5" wide) cabinet.  The Hafele unit looks really nice.  

https://advancedesignhardware.com/produc...6977323269

This one from The Container Store will probably fit in a pull out drawer in a kick space: 

https://www.containerstore.com/s/laundry...d=11004300
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
That second one is certainly bright enough that it won’t hide well when it walks away from the kitchen lol
Ray

(10-16-2018, 09:09 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: That second one is certainly bright enough that it won’t hide well when it walks away from the kitchen lol
This two step version from Camping World is a nice neutral gray.

https://www.campingworld.com/folding-2-step-stool

[Image: 65819n.gif]
(10-16-2018, 09:09 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: That second one is certainly bright enough that it won’t hide well when it walks away from the kitchen lol

Oh the color wasn't an issue at all. I was just saying that because I know my family and that a free-standing unit will walk away.
Being a bright color will make it easier to find in whatever room it ends up in.

But I like the two step one too. A little taller.

If I don't come up with another idea, I'll probably get that.
thanks
Ray

(10-16-2018, 11:33 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Oh the color wasn't an issue at all. I was just saying that because I know my family and that a free-standing unit will walk away.
Being a bright color will make it easier to find in whatever room it ends up in.

But I like the two step one too. A little taller.

If I don't come up with another idea, I'll probably get that.
thanks

Ah.  Then a library ladder instead!

[Image: a0e5d286e0b0098b58e7d6be44fec4ecb95edc1e]
Dogwood,

If you end up building a slide under step system, check out this travel choral riser system for ideas on how you can collapse three steps flat, pull out, lift the steps, and back to flat. https://www.wengercorp.com/risers/tourma...risers.php Obviously your construction doesn't need to be as robust or wide. The pictures at the bottom might be helpful, there are some videos also. Hope this helps.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Hmm ... maybe I should just buy a scissor lift and park it in the dining room when not needed
Ray
built in cabinet step stool for toe kick area