I just received the second issue of the new and improved Popular Woodworking magazine.  The new format is decidedly tilted away from the more traditional and sophisticated look that began at PWM with the advent of the Woodworking magazine under the guidance of Chris Schwarz.  The new look reminds me of what a magazine created by Rockler would look like, along with the editorial content inside.  My copy came overwrapped with a cover that warned me that this was my second-to-last issue.  That timing will be just about right for my impending move to another state.....I probably won't bother with a change of address for Popular Woodworking magazine.

(11-05-2018, 09:07 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: ... The new format is decidedly tilted away from the more traditional and sophisticated look that began at PWM with the advent of the Woodworking magazine under the guidance of Chris Schwarz.  The new look reminds me of what a magazine created by Rockler would look like, along with the editorial content inside...

I was disappointed also. Several of my favorites are gone but Follansbee and Flexner always teach me something, so I'll continue reading for now. Anybody else notice that the PW website is now slow as molasses?
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
I went to the website today.  I didn't find it slow, but it was rather irritating for all the ads to download before I could read anything.  The formats just kept jumping around while I was trying to scroll down to see things.  One other thing I noticed was they are still posting Chris Schwarz blogs (Anarchist Gifts for one).  I thought he had already announced he was leaving the magazine.  Maybe it was after the end of the year?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(11-06-2018, 09:34 AM)AHill Wrote: I went to the website today.  I didn't find it slow, but it was rather irritating for all the ads to download before I could read anything.  The formats just kept jumping around while I was trying to scroll down to see things.  One other thing I noticed was they are still posting Chris Schwarz blogs (Anarchist Gifts for one).  I thought he had already announced he was leaving the magazine.  Maybe it was after the end of the year?

End of year = end of contract.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
The gift suggestion thing is his last series of posts for PW, I believe.
I miss Woodworking mag....
Brent

Coming at ya from the Bayou State.

(11-06-2018, 11:13 AM)Brent I Wrote: I miss Woodworking mag....
And I miss "Woodwork," which was originally published from an office 45 minutes south of me.  I was never quite sure why F&W Media (Pop Wood's owner) bought it, only to kill it.  I had some e-mail conversations with Megan Fitzpatrick, and she kept advocating for its continuation, to no avail.

(11-06-2018, 11:48 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: And I miss "Woodwork," which was originally published from an office 45 minutes south of me.  I was never quite sure why F&W Media (Pop Wood's owner) bought it, only to kill it.  I had some e-mail conversations with Megan Fitzpatrick, and she kept advocating for its continuation, to no avail.

I have the whole set of Woodwork, but found the FW more resourceful.

F&W bought the AW which published the last few issues of Woodwork, and then killed both. It must have its reasons...right or wrong.

Frankly, I prefer the AW as a name than PW, at least as an American audience. But the best title really belongs to FW, unless one aims for rough quality in their work. That title also sets out its target segment.

Simon
PWW has gotten significantly thinner over the last few years.

The content has also shifted so it no longer appeals to me.

I will be one of the folks that does not resubscribe.

Too bad, it used to be a great magazine.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I gave it up several years ago and do not miss it at all. That was in the time frame of when Bob Lang & a few others departed (don't know the exact circumstances). The mag from that time kept getting thinner, more repetitive and using paper the was toilet paper thin.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Popular Woodworking magazine