I had a 7/16", 20 gage crown stapler from HF.  It was perfect for a year, then I didn't use it for a year.  Well the plunger stuck when I want to use it again, and no amount of lube or fiddling would get it to retract.  So I bought a new one.  You guessed it, the plunger stuck on the first fire.  Inspection showed the plunger has rust on it, so I shot some Triflow in and fired it again.  Stuck, repeat, etc.  I'm taking it back for a refund.  

Which leads me to ask what you folks like for this type of stapler.  7/16" - 1/2" wide that can shoot staples from around 1/4" - 5/8" is what I'm looking for.  I don't use one a lot but when I do I'd like it to work.  

John

No idea what your using it for......but the M12 Milwaukee stapler is awesome.

Uses standard t-50 staples.

Ed

(11-16-2018, 10:05 PM)EdL Wrote: No idea what your using it for......but the M12 Milwaukee stapler is awesome.

Uses standard t-50 staples.

Ed

This could be an option.  Thanks.  

John
(11-16-2018, 09:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I had a 7/16", 20 gage crown stapler from HF.  It was perfect for a year, then I didn't use it for a year.  Well the plunger stuck when I want to use it again, and no amount of lube or fiddling would get it to retract.  So I bought a new one.  You guessed it, the plunger stuck on the first fire.  Inspection showed the plunger has rust on it, so I shot some Triflow in and fired it again.  Stuck, repeat, etc.  I'm taking it back for a refund.  

Which leads me to ask what you folks like for this type of stapler.  7/16" - 1/2" wide that can shoot staples from around 1/4" - 5/8" is what I'm looking for.  I don't use one a lot but when I do I'd like it to work.  

John

John, I have a Ridgid I bought several years ago at HD on a sale. I have used it sparingly over the years and it has never let me down, just like the other Ridgid tools I own. I have an older Porter Cable stapler that shoots the larger sizes but seldom use it. It too has been a good one.

Were I be in the market today for a smaller one, would go for the Ridgid again in a heartbeat. Has a nice feel to it also.

Good luck,

Doug
I just bought one this past summer.  I got the Freeman from Amazon.  Freeman PSS50.  It was $125.  Now it's $100.  I only use it occasionally.  It works great.  It seats the staples, and I've never had a jam.  Use air tool oil in it.  I'd buy it again.  I don't do production work.  I just couldn't see spending $300 for a tool that will only see occasional use.  I mainly use it for building bee hives.  I got my 1.75"Hatachi staples at Lowes.   They had a busted box for $30 or so.  I'll never use them all.

RP
I'm a PC fan, but the current crop of nailers and staplers (after the buy out) doesn't look appealing to me. Way too much plastic on the controls. Just look cheap to me.

Son is currently running bostitch guns in his framing (Housing) business, and is having good luck with them.
He has a sheeting stapler that will kick out some work. Fast, dependable.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks all, but I think you misunderstood what I'm looking for; from what I can see most of your recommendations reference 1/4" narrow crown staplers, where the shortest staple they take is 1".  I'm looking for a 20 gage crown stapler that uses 1/2" wide staples from about 1/4" to usually around 5/8" max..   These often are used by upholsters, which is why I bought one in the first place.  The HF one also shoots T-50 staples.   

I took the HF stapler back this AM and actually exchanged it for another.  If this one dies an early death I'll move on.  Thanks.  

John

Turns out there are 2 HF staplers that take 7/16" wide crown staples.  The 2 that died were #68029.  The one I got as a replacement today is #61619.  They shoot the same staples but are different in the nose, trigger, and loading mechanism.  Now that I've handled both I prefer the #61619.  I shot about a dozen 1/2" staples with it - so far so good.  We'll see how long this one lasts.  I've had one of their 1/4" crown staplers for several years and have shot thousands of staples through it w/o a problem.  Hopefully, this one gives similar service.

John

(11-17-2018, 06:28 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Turns out there are 2 HF staplers that take 7/16" wide crown staples.  The 2 that died were #68029.  The one I got as a replacement today is #61619.  They shoot the same staples but are different in the nose, trigger, and loading mechanism.  Now that I've handled both I prefer the #61619.  I shot about a dozen 1/2" staples with it - so far so good.  We'll see how long this one lasts.  I've had one of their 1/4" crown staplers for several years and have shot thousands of staples through it w/o a problem.  Hopefully, this one gives similar service.

John

I have an HF fine wire stapler and no problem. I did learn to get one that shoots T50 staples, those are available everywhere. The HF will set 1/2" staples flush in oak, not sure what else I'd need.
I was referencing 1/2" *wide* staplers, that shoot up to 2" long. (Bostitch)

And while you mentioned 1/4" crown staplers, I can buy 1/2" long staples all day long.

My upholstery stapler is a PC US50, which uses 22ga, 3/8" crown.
Min 1/4" to max 5/8" length.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

1/2" Crown Stapler Recommendation Please