but what I really would like to do first is an open segmented turned bowl and vase.

I would love or I should say NEED any and all advise on what to do before in planning before, what to use and how to put it together and finish it.

I have all the software and would love to have something on the bowl as a sailboat with birds and other sea life and for the vase flowers coming up out of the ground and bees and butterfly's.

Thanks for help and advise and any links to things to see or look at.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(11-25-2018, 04:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: but what I really would like to do first is an open segmented turned bowl and vase.

I would love or I should say NEED any and all advise on what to do before in planning before, what to use and how to put it together and finish it.

I have all the software and would love to have something on the bowl as a sailboat with birds and other sea life and for the vase flowers coming up out of the ground and bees and butterfly's.

I wasn't sure of my abilities with open segments (actually I was completely sure that I had no clue) so I made my first one out of plain pine as a learning experience. It shattered and threw pieces everywhere. The next pine practice piece came out ok and the real piece is on display.

Since it worked for me, I would suggest that you practice gluing and turning before you use good wood or make patterns.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
That is a good idea on using pine first. 
Yes
(11-25-2018, 04:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: but what I really would like to do first is an open segmented turned bowl and vase.

do you have the index wheels and platform and stop setup for the lathe? The lathes factory indexing setup is not accurate enough and probably won't give you the stops you need anyway.

Edit to add; I do not recommend the segeasy plates for open work.

(11-27-2018, 10:52 PM)Angus Wrote: do you have the index wheels and platform and stop setup for the lathe? The lathes factory indexing setup is not accurate enough and probably won't give you the stops you need anyway.

Edit to add; I do not recommend the segeasy plates for open work.

No I do not have any of that Angus and yes I do know that the PMs are severally lacking on the index wheels.  To me a high price item like that should have a nice one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
OK new year coming up and I will get to segmented turning