What are you using to sand bowls and platters on the lathe?  I’ve used both inertia driven and power sanders. Just curious what works best for you. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!

2" wave discs in my cordless drill,slow speed and light pressure.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I use a 90 deg angled, pneumatic die grinder with a 2" or 3" pad. The lathe is usually around 250 - 300 rpm's and the sander is variable speed. I have tried all the popular methods and find this works best for me, it doesn't take long to get a bowl ready for finish.

(12-02-2018, 07:34 AM)J Lilley Wrote: I use a 90 deg angled, pneumatic die grinder with a 2" or 3" pad. The lathe is usually around 250 - 300 rpm's and the sander is variable speed. I have tried all the popular methods and find this works best for me, it doesn't take long to get a bowl ready for finish.

What Lilley does but when I get to 600, 800, and 1000 I do hand sanding or do all hand sanding if I desire to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-02-2018, 04:30 AM)AztecKing Wrote: What are you using to sand bowls and platters on the lathe?  I’ve used both inertia driven and power sanders. Just curious what works best for you. 

Jeff

Flexible shaft driving fairly non-flexible disks.  Allows me to rest the handpiece on the toolrest, saving my arm from holding something heavy at a distance.  Using a drill or grinder, I found myself resting on the work, which overheated it.  I use it for the 150 and 220 grits, then turn the lathe off and finish by hand along the grain with 320.  On weird winged bowls where I might catch and round edges, I sand off the lathe in my lap with flexible backed paper for the first two grits, using the flex shaft drive.  The semi-rigid disks are too aggressive for that kind of work. 

Numbers for my setup are 1725 induction motor running the shaft, and normal rpm for the turning 690.

Can't post MP4s, but you can get the idea here.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Haror freight 1/4" angle drill and 2" discs. I am on my second drill in 15 years of medium use. I do a lot of corian vases and bowls, open and closed segmented. I am assuming that dust is VERY hard on the drill, so I am very pleased with the longevity of the tool. On the same issue, I would not really recommend it for drilling unless small bit.
Thanks for the info everybody. I’m using an off brand angle drill similar to the Harbor Freight one and an inertia sander that I got from somewhere that I can’t remember. I’ll have to try an air drill to see how that works. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
I use the Harbor Freight front exhaust air die grinder. The air coming out the front keeps the dust blown away.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte...52848.html
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Sanding bowls and platters question