The place we are getting our granite counter top stores the slabs outside. Now I know that won’t hurt the stone and all that, but my wife was wondering about the moisture content and how that can be dried out before sealing the stone.
Also wondering if we’re going to end up with rusty areas that didn’t occur naturally before being stored outside - like big spots, not just reddish tones here and there.
What are your thoughts or experience in these regards?
Thanks
Ray

Ray, every granite supplier I know of stores their stone outside. I've never heard of an issue with it. I don't think millions of years old stone will be affected by the elements.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I know that it won’t hurt it! :-)
Just wondering about the effect on sealing it.
Seems like it could get, relatively, saturated by the rain.
But then, now that I think of it, I suppose no more than the water table would have done to it already and having been cut out of the ground it could be more dry that it ever had been.
Thanks
Ray
All I've ever seen was stored outside.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Doesn't seem to be a problem, when they put ours in last August they sealed it that day. I'm not convinced that the sealing is that important anyway, the owner of the kitchen company that did ours said they haven't sealed their granite in the 10 years they've had it and it still looks like new.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(12-15-2018, 09:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Doesn't seem to be a problem, when they put ours in last August they sealed it that day. I'm not convinced that the sealing is that important anyway, the owner of the kitchen company that did ours said they haven't sealed their granite in the 10 years they've had it and it still looks like new.

When they cut it and profile the edges it is flooded with water.  Won't be an issue.   Roly
(Insert Homer ‘duh!’
Good point, Roly
Thanks guys
Ray

(12-15-2018, 11:24 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: (Insert Homer ‘duh!’
Good point, Roly
Thanks guys

+1
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Well, granite is somewhat porous - some more than others.

But most granite sealers are water-based so...

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Another benefit of having them outside is you get to choose your slab in natural light instead of inside a warehouse.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Granite slab stored outside