I have a big project coming up that would make it nice to have a spindle sander. I don't have room for a floor model (and don't want to spend the money) so I'm looking for recommendations. I think the $500 Jet is a little extreme. HF is not a consideration IMO. Maybe I would use one more if I had one but I rarely the sander on the DP, so this may be limited use.

Thanks
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget

I have the Ridgid combo spindle/belt sander.  I like it and it has been good for my needs.  It's also cost effective and some can be had in the used market.

There are a couple of items that bear mention, and they might affect whether or not this is a good machine for your needs:

- The spindles are affixed to the machine with a star-shaped knob on top that is larger in diameter than the smallest spindle.  If the surface you are sanding is taller than that spindle (about 4" or so), then that knob will interfere if using the smallest spindle.

- Only the front portion of the table tilts, and that's a distance away from the spindle.  To me, the geometry of the setup can issues if you're trying to sand a beveled edge or some similar action.   

Hope this helps...
What he said...The Ridgid seems to be a very good choice/bang for the buck...Picked up a used, near mint condition, one for $100 2 years ago...
The Rigid belt/spindle sander has gotten a lot of positive reviews, on various forums, since it came out.  I've had one for a number of years and it has served my needs well enough.  I wouldn't want to subject it to production use, but for occasional hobby use, it seems to be ideal.  Dust collection even isn't too bad.  The issues that WxMan brought up are legit, but neither have caused me any real problems.  YMMV.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'll have to start keeping an eye on craigslist. Thanks for the input.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Another vote for the Ridgid sander. Only thing I don't care for is the horrid orange color.
Keep thinking one day I will paint over it, but it has not happened yet.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
another vote for the Rigid ... I am happy with mine
And another + for the Ridgid from Ag....
Yet another Ridgid sander. Had mine for over 12 years, it is the old grey one. Works great!
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
apparently a lot of us have the Ridgid combo sander. No complaints here.
Spindel Sander