Grandson #3 would like a new computer desk...Grandson #1 LOVED the Coffee Table, BTW...

Decided to try to bring a desk like this..
[attachment=15383]
"Kicking & Screaming"
Winkgrin  into the Computer Age...

Lid will open towards the front, to set a keyboard on...top needs to hold the monitor in place.   needs to allow a chair to be used, instead of standing.
Natasha:  " You have Plan, Darlink?"
Boris:  "I have Plan, they don't always work, but, I always have Plan"
[attachment=15384]
This is for the base.  Have a stash of Ash, again. 
[attachment=15385]
Mainly concerned with the 2 x 4 x 8' chunk.  need to clear of the bench..and haul some things to the shop..
[attachment=15386]
That 2 x 4 was a bear to get down to the shop...circular saw to cut 2 blanks for legs...
Cool
[attachment=15388]
The clear off the tablesaw, set up the rip fence @ 1-1/2" strong...and rip until I had 4 leg blanks..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=15389]
Time to try out the "New & Improved" vise, and the new dogs...
Winkgrin
[attachment=15390]
#62 was to clean up after the #6c was done...making a mess on the floor
Rolleyes  
[attachment=15391]
Finally got all 4 legs milled for size..
[attachment=15392]
Need to trim the ends for square.   Next up?  Need aprons and stretchers made....one of the 1 x 6 x 6' boards will get set aside...
[attachment=15393]
Need a blank for the keyboard lid, after all..
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

looking forward to the build.  So far the wood looks great.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well, after a nice long break....I was just going to haul a plank to the shop...that WAS the plan
Uhoh 
Decided to at least cross cut the plank to size....even squared the ends....then...reset the rip fence to exactly the middle of the board's width..
[attachment=15398]
Two edges had a bit of a wave to them...ran those through...waves are gone.   The 2x4 leftover sitting there?
Confused  
[attachment=15399]
Fence was reset to about
Rolleyes 3/4" thick....2 x was run through a few times...lower leg stretchers are now rough milled.
Could have stopped there..yeah, right
Rolleyes    Decided to at least mark out one apron...
[attachment=15400]
Both for 1/2" tenons...and a cut-out....1/2 pint can of stain to do a curve..bandsaw to cut...
[attachment=15401]
Got the two short/side aprons cut....had to use a plane to match things up....then used the better looking of the two as a pattern..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=15402]
Spokeshave, plane, beltsander....to make them all match..almost...Set up the mitersaw to do shoulder cuts..
Cool
[attachment=15403]
And that was about as far as I got, tonight.   Maybe tomorrow, I can get something done?
Rolleyes 

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Nice job. Keep 'em coming.
Ag
Ok...worked from 3pm to 5pm today....got a little bit done, before Suppertime...
Winkgrin 
Mitersaw...needed a few set-ups done...Needed a way to hold the parts steady, while I was sawing away..
[attachment=15408]
For half the cuts, anyway.   I also set up a stop block...
[attachment=15409]
So I could wind up with 1/2" long tenons....

All the layouts for these tenons was done from one setting on a combo square....set at 1/2".  
[attachment=15410]
Even getting a 1/4" thick tenon...boards are 3/4" thick, come across 1/2"  from both edges...leaves the 1/4" tenon...First board to help set the depth, once I was close, I set the depth stops on the saw...back ones were being a tad..."difficult"    
Rolleyes   
[attachment=15411]
Had to keep an eye on things, to keep from sawing too deep...finally got the shoulder cuts done...
Cool 
[attachment=15412]
Which left the cheek cuts....mitersaw can't do such cuts, but...used the same square to mark out some lines
Rolleyes 
[attachment=15413]
Then the backsaw took over..
[attachment=15414]
Sharp, wide chisel to clean up the corner...then that square, again..
[attachment=15415]
Then the saw to cut to the lines, using the shoulders as a guide....chisel to pop the waste off....
managed to get all the tenons on the aprons done, and set aside, for now.
Cool  
[attachment=15416]
Stay tuned....part 2 is coming right up..
Winkgrin
OK, Part 2...tablesaw to try and square the ends of the 4 legs, and get them close to the same lengths.....one leg had a bugled spot...#3c took away the bulge
Rolleyes 
Stanley 45 was still set up as a plough plane....changed that out and installed a bead cutter....reset the fence...thought I had the depth about right...adjusted that, again
Upset 
Got to use the dogs, one in the vise one on the end of the legs...no special jigs needed
Winkgrin
[attachment=15417]
You can even see one hiding down in it's hole....and the bead work....tried to pick out the best "show" corners...worked until all four legs had the double bead detail..
Cool 
[attachment=15418]
These will be the outside corners of the base.  Went and dug up the mortise jig..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=15419]
Ran into a few problems.....none of the cordless drill batteries were charged up  DOA.    Then noticed I didn't have the short stretchers milled to size, yet
Upset 
Have a battery IN the charger, now.   When I trudge back to the shop, I need to make two short stretchers that fit between the front and back legs, one on each side..and make those tenons.....looking like mortises will wait until tomorrow
Confused 

Stay tuned....
Big Grin
Great start for 2019. Looking forward to the journey.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Couldn't sleep last night...wondered down to the shop for a bit....cross cut two  3/4" x 2"  parts....still rough sawn....took them to the bench, and made a mess
Uhoh  
[attachment=15427]
Edges were jointed, both boards were face planed...wound up with two parts, S4S
Cool  
[attachment=15428]
Millers Falls No.11 seemed to be about the right size for this job..
Cool  
[attachment=15429]
Went back upstairs, and tried again to get a bit of sleep
No ....

Well, finally meandered to the shop today....about 1pm....Hoping to work a few kinks out of this old body...cleaned the mess up.

Mitersaw to make a few shoulder cuts on those two stretchers from last night...once the lay outs were done...set up the "Joinery Bench"
Rolleyes 
[attachment=15430]
Nice to just sit down and work.
Winkgrin   Backsaw and a chisel, to complete the tenons..
[attachment=15431]
Saw down, using the shoulders to guide the saw, chisel and a single hit with a mallet...
Cool 
[attachment=15432]
Hmmm, less for me to chop out, when doing the mortises
Winkgrin 

Got out the usual suspects, and got ready to chop a few holes,  Part 2 coming right up..
Cool 
Stay tuned
OK, usual suspects rounded up
Winkgrin  
[attachment=15433]
Laid out a mortise
[attachment=15434]
Chisels to chop the waste out...
[attachment=15435]
Couple of test fits, until it did fit 
[attachment=15436]
Rotate the leg blank end for end...repeat the chopping...test fit  
Cool 
[attachment=15437]
Set these aside, on to the next leg....had to keep checking, to make sure I was chopping the correct spots then a dry fit of all 4 parts..clamps 
[attachment=15438]
But, no glue..yet.   Back to the bench, complete the other side assembly's mortises....more double checking for correct locations...mortises were a bit tighter..dry fit?
[attachment=15439]
These are just standing there, nothing is propping them up....and, they match each other!
Cool 

"Mickey Mouse" said it was 4pm...time to close shop.  Tomorrow's list?  Need mortises for the front and back aprons chopped and fitted.   Need four corner blocks made.  Need to run a cove bit around on a few edges...maybe try for a glue up?    Need to size the cross stretcher/ foot rest once the base is glued up....need to S4S a blank for that...

And try to get some sleep, tonight.
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Those Millers Falls planes with the two piece lever caps are terrific workers. Tuned properly, I don't think there is any timber they can't tame and fully the equal of any modern plane or vintage, such as a Bedrock.

I do think you ought to bottle and sell some of your energy!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
New Project, just a desk...