I consider myself to be a middle of the road WW'er with a pretty complete shop. Always looking for a new challenge I purchased a CarveWright machine primarily to make ornamental designs on box lids and signs. So far I've been able to figure out what I needed to do but am looking for more software images and hardware to continue to grow. To that end I've seeming run into the proprietary hardware (bits) and software image costs imposed by CarveWright.

1. Rocker is running a sale on Freund signmaking bits with 1/4 and 1/2 inch shanks. These are priced about 1/2 the cost of the proprietary bits. However, CarveWright warns against using other manufacturers. Does anyone know why and have they tried other bits?

2. The same kind of question relates to software graphics. To purchase graphics from CarveWright is very expensive. Are there other libraries out there that I can download images from that are free or lower cost?

I use non Carvewright bits all the time.  Any 1/4" shaft 60 and 90 degree bit will fit in the Carvewright holder and work fine.  I got an ER-11 adapter to use with carving and cutting bits. I get 1/8" cutting and 1/16" carving bits from a guy called Drillman on eBay, they are advertised for use in a Carvewright and are quit a bit cheaper and last just as long. If you go to the Carvewright forum and search for ER-11 adapter you will find where to get them. It comes with three different sizes of collets and I can even use bits from a dremel.

I use the STL Importer add on software to convert STL's to patterns. There are lots of free STL's on the internet and lots that you can get for only a few dollars. Hope this helps.

(01-07-2019, 08:16 PM)Herc Eng Wrote: I use non Carvewright bits all the time.  Any 1/4" shaft 60 and 90 degree bit will fit in the Carvewright holder and work fine.  I got an ER-11 adapter to use with carving and cutting bits. I get 1/8" cutting and 1/16" carving bits from a guy called Drillman on eBay, they are advertised for use in a Carvewright and are quit a bit cheaper and last just as long. If you go to the Carvewright forum and search for ER-11 adapter you will find where to get them. It comes with three different sizes of collets and I can even use bits from a dremel.

I use the STL Importer add on software to convert STL's to patterns. There are lots of free STL's on the internet and lots that you can get for only a few dollars. Hope this helps.

This does help, a lot.  I'm going out today and get some Freund bits to try.  

How or where do I look up STL graphics?
I have one also and just waiting for someone to show me how it works.  I have been to the Carvewright site and asked many questions several years ago but it just did not help me figure it out.

If either of you ever go thru Council Bluffs, Iowa I sure could use a few hours of instruction.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Try http://www.designandmake.com for starters. These are files for sale but just due a search for cnc STL files and you will find lots of sites.

(01-08-2019, 06:24 PM)Herc Eng Wrote: Try http://www.designandmake.com for starters. These are files for sale but just due a search for cnc STL files and you will find lots of sites.

Thanks, I'll take a look..
CarveWright Questions