I'm having to rebuild my shop after our recent move.  Next step is a row of cabinets with a mitersaw station, and probably put my radial arm saw in it as well in tandem.

My current mitersaw is a tired old Delta, so I believe it prudent to replace and build the station around a new saw.

Whats the consensus on the best one out there right now?  Bosch Axial?  Might make most sense as it will be permanently mounted in a station up against the wall.

Thoughts?
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere

(01-10-2019, 04:33 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I'm having to rebuild my shop after our recent move.  Next step is a row of cabinets with a mitersaw station, and probably put my radial arm saw in it as well in tandem.

My current mitersaw is a tired old Delta, so I believe it prudent to replace and build the station around a new saw.

Whats the consensus on the best one out there right now?  Bosch Axial?  Might make most sense as it will be permanently mounted in a station up against the wall.

Thoughts?

I have had my Dewalt 708 for, well about 20 years, and the only thing I had to do is replace the $40.00 bearings a couple of years ago. Beyond that, if I were to buy another one it would be the Bosch Glide. Just so I could put it against the wall.
BontzSawWorks.net
IMO, the best miter saw is your RAS.  Seriously, no miter saw can do all it can do, or with higher accuracy.  Miter saws are nice when you don't already own a good RAS or you need portability.  Beyond that, not so much.  

I doubt you'll get any consensus on what miter saw is best.  Some say Festool, some the Bosch Glide, and on down the line.  My Bosch 12" DCMS is a shadow of my old Dewalt RAS.  

John
(01-10-2019, 04:33 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I'm having to rebuild my shop after our recent move.  Next step is a row of cabinets with a mitersaw station, and probably put my radial arm saw in it as well in tandem.

Thoughts?

I agree largely with what John said. However, I'll add one caveat - for trim and crown moulding miter saws have their place. I did most of the trim work in my home remodel/addition project with a single bevel Dewalt 705 miter saw. It was lightweight with a small stand and was pretty easy to move around the house and from floor to floor (very large project). As John mentioned earlier these saws are not heavyweight tools and will not consistently yield close tolerance work over a long period of time. A finely tuned round arm Dewalt RAS will.

Later, I was in the market for a SCMS for some siding work, did the research and selected one. I'm reluctant to tell you the brand because I've recommended it here many times and have been consistently ignored. OK, it was the Milwaukee 12" dual bevel SCMS. It has been a great tool for its intended use and I would buy it all over again were I in the market.

I'm finishing out my "new to me" shop and plan to have one wall dedicated to crosscutting long material. In the middle of that run will be my Dewalt GA RAS. I may also include the Dewalt 705 just for lightweight tasks.

Good luck,

Doug

(01-10-2019, 10:28 PM)Tapper Wrote: I agree largely with what John said. However, I'll add one caveat - for trim and crown moulding miter saws have their place. I did most of the trim work in my home remodel/addition project with a single bevel Dewalt 705 miter saw. It was lightweight with a small stand and was pretty easy to move around the house and from floor to floor (very large project). As John mentioned earlier these saws are not heavyweight tools and will not consistently yield close tolerance work over a long period of time. A finely tuned round arm Dewalt RAS will.

Later, I was in the market for a SCMS for some siding work, did the research and selected one. I'm reluctant to tell you the brand because I've recommended it here many times and have been consistently ignored. OK, it was the Milwaukee 12" dual bevel SCMS. It has been a great tool for its intended use and I would buy it all over again were I in the market.

I'm finishing out my "new to me" shop and plan to have one wall dedicated to crosscutting long material. In the middle of that run will be my Dewalt GA RAS. I may also include the Dewalt 705 just for lightweight tasks.

Good luck,

Doug

Well, I have to agree with the Radial arm saw. It is more versatile. I no longer have mine only because of space.
BontzSawWorks.net
I had both the Kapex and the 12" bosch axial glide in the shop for awhile to compare them.

The biggest difference for me were the following:
The slick hold down of the Kapex.  It's really nice and convenient.  
The soft start motor of the kapex.  The Bosch jerks up when you start motor. The kapex starts smooth.

Those were big for me.  But are they worth more than double, I think probably not.  

I kept the kapex.

And regarding dust collection... mine is setup with a full time CT22 vacuum.  So it runs every time the saw turns on... over a few weeks or a month or so, the area is still COVERED in dust and chips... so regardless, you have a clean up after cutting, with either saw.

No criticism; just a comment. I'm sure the Kapex is a nice miter saw.  I've read some folks have had problems with early motor failure though.  Anyway, a Kapex costs, what, $1400 or so?  I'm always amazed that people will pay that kind of money for one when you can get an awesome old RAS for less than half that, and a really nice one often for a couple hundred $'s.  Of course, if you don't have the space for a RAS or you need portability then a RAS isn't going to work.  But if you are looking for a dedicated shop machine an old RAS wins hands down. 

John
Well the radial arm saw I have is vintage, it was my fathers.  I have tuned it up in the past and will do so again when I mount it, but I generally leave it set at 90 degrees for wide cut offs and use the miter for the angles.  I think that is the way I want to go.

I'd buy the Kapex, I've looked at it and lusted over it, but I've also read the reviews and the bad luck they have had.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I wouldn't want to do trim work, especially crown, with a RAS. I see no point in dragging a RAS in the house or to a job site to do that.
I'll stay with the miter saws.

I finally ridded (is that a word? Lol) myself of the RAS I bought new in about 87. It was used for rough cuts only.
I'd love to have an older Dewalt or Original saw in the shop, but it's too late in the game to be getting one now.
I
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-11-2019, 11:29 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I wouldn't want to do trim work, especially crown, with a RAS. I see no point in dragging a RAS in the house or to a job site to do that.
I'll stay with the miter saws.

I specifically said a miter saw has it's place if you need portability.  The jobs you cited are exactly what they were designed for.  

John
Best Miter Saw