I found an old (art deco era) sliding table Unisaw that has been poorly stored so there's rust on the surface.

I plan to take the rust off with a right angle grinder and Scotchbrite or wire wheel.

Once the gross rust is gone do I need to use Navel Jelly or something similar to remove any "hidden" rust or can I just give it a good cleaning and waxing?

Machine is in good shape considering
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

A right angle grinder might take off too much of the good steel.  I would try using a brush to remove the rust and as random oribital sand to get a smooth surface.  

My right angle grinder will dig right into the surface of steel.  I think it is too agressive for this.  

You might also try a chemical rust remover.

Here is a good article on the subject:  https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/how.../view-all/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-11-2019, 11:32 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I found an old (art deco era) sliding table Unisaw that has been poorly stored so there's rust on the surface.

I plan to take the rust off with a right angle grinder and Scotchbrite or wire wheel.

Once the gross rust is gone do I need to use Navel Jelly or something similar to remove any "hidden" rust or can I just give it a good cleaning and waxing?

Machine is in good shape considering
Rolleyes

Try scraping with a razor blade to get the thick/heavy stuff off...Then follow up with an ROS/WD40 (or other sim solvent) rather than grinder. 

Worked well for me...
Grinder would probably work, but I would def use Scotchbrite, not the wire wheel...
I wipe down with WD-40 and then ROS with about 180 grit or so.

Then wax and polish.
I use half and half mixture of paraffin wax and bees wax, with a little turpentine mixed in.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you have a Scotchbrite or wire wheel on that grinder you'll be fine. You will probably see any  leftover rust, if you can't I'd just wax it and go from there. But if you need more clean up after the grinder thing, the ROS trick will do a nice job of getting you finished up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
How about soaking it with something and letting it sit for a day or two then going after it? It will loosen up the rust a bit, and there won't be as much dust when you remove it.

I wouldn't use a grinder.
I'm in the NO grinder school.

I've never tried the "WD40 soak over-night" trick, but it sounds like a good idea if the whole top is rusted.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I've used a ROS with a course piece of sandpaper with a green shotchbrite pad under it.
That way it left a nice even finish across the whole top without swirl marks from the ROS.
I'm in the NO grinder school also. I use a sheet of 220 grit glued to a flattened board or a green non-woven pad and WD-40 or similar. Use a paint scraper if you need to. Do not try to remove the patina that cast iron gets, that seems to help delay rusting and that's what CI is supposed to do. Clean and wax. My tables have only gotten slicker doing this periodically.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
You do NOT want the marks from a ROS or grinder in the top. Use a Razor blade to remove the bulk of the rust. Then steel wool and brown Scotchbright pad. Finish by cleaning with acetone an d apply a layer of paste wax.
Wood is good. 
rust on table top