I picked up a box of solid bamboo flooring as a closeout with the intent of seeing how it turns. Maple is so much better as the bamboo tends to splinter out, even with a fresh grind on the gouge. It just won't come smooth until you use sanding sealer and sand it down. I sand with the lathe turning and had to go both forward and reverse to get it right.

This 7" dia roll dish was the result. It was worth it for the novelty but I wouldn't pick bamboo as a first material choice.

The lack of growth rings makes for a different looking grain pattern though. This piece was done with 12 segments per ring and the lack of growth rings even makes the segment edges harder to spot.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

That looks great. I bet it was hard though!
Looks great.  What is up with the hole in the bottom?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(01-17-2019, 01:06 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What is up with the hole in the bottom?

The hole is in the lid, both as a way to lift the lid off and as a way to vent the steam from the freshly baked rolls. (I live a hard life!) If you don't vent the steam, it condenses inside and gets the rolls soggy. Nobody likes soggy rolls.

(01-17-2019, 05:50 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: The hole is in the lid, both as a way to lift the lid off and as a way to vent the steam from the freshly baked rolls.  (I live a hard life!)  If you don't vent the steam, it condenses inside and gets the rolls soggy.  Nobody likes soggy rolls.

You know I never would have thought about it since I do not get any like that.  Do get fresh rolls but set on the table and before they get cool they are gone.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Great looking bowl. I've turned a few pens from bamboo--my ratio is 3 blanks to get 2 pens for a small sampling. Cool looking, but i'll take any burl over bamboo!!

Good thought on the vent hole. For me the best solution is to put too much butter on fresh hot rolls, and eat them while standing over the range!!
earl

(01-17-2019, 07:14 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: For me the best solution is to put too much butter on fresh hot rolls, and eat them while standing over the range!!
earl

That's my solution, too but my wife makes me share. That's why the dish for the table is so small!
(01-17-2019, 10:29 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: I picked up a box of solid bamboo flooring as a closeout with the intent of seeing how it turns.  Maple is so much better as the bamboo tends to splinter out, even with a fresh grind on the gouge.  It just won't come smooth until you use sanding sealer and sand it down.  I sand with the lathe turning and had to go both forward and reverse to get it right.

This 7" dia roll dish was the result.  It was worth it for the novelty but I wouldn't pick bamboo as a first material choice.  

The lack of growth rings makes for a different looking grain pattern though.  This piece was done with 12 segments per ring and the lack of growth rings even makes the segment edges harder to spot.

I found that bamboo turns much better and no tear out if you do your segments cross grain.  More waste, but the effect gives you all the rounds in the bamboo.

Bob
looks like a success ,Nice work
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I like it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
A turning experiment