Beautiful workmanship:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/408029

This made me think: I’ve got numerous oil stones around the shop from grandad and Judy’s dad. These all pre-date the importation of Japanese stones and are likely various types of Arkansas stones.
How do I find or figure out what they are?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

First, some cleaning-I use oven cleaner, rinsed with hot water. Then the fingernail test-which stone feels smoother/finer.

I have many vintage stones, bought over the years, with my main criteria is examination of the case-fancier, hand made cases, were usually made by craftman for their better, prized stones (Washita's, black, hard arkansas, etc.).

Post some pics, and a few of us here can give some guidance.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks Tony.
I’m in the middle of another project so it’ll be a bit before I can clean them and post pics.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

(01-19-2019, 10:02 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Thanks Tony.
I’m in the middle of another project so it’ll be a bit before I can clean them and post pics.

Gary, after you get them clean, one of the best natural stones you can buy is a translucent Hard Arkansas. The best are easy to identify..Hold a clean stone up to a bright light..it should appear translucent around the edges, primarily....You can check Ebay shaving section and get an idea of many other stones that are out there..Some of the man-made stones are excellent as well....A ceramic is one of my favorites altho I must have forty or fifty other stones....I used to collect them. At one time I had a nice collection of Belgian Coticules and I wish I had them back!!!!
Sad
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

How to determine which oil stone?