Hello Woodnetters!

I am a hobby woodworker looking to share the fun of woodworking with a new generation - I volunteer teach a hand tool basics class at a local homeschool cooperative.  This semester we've run into a fantastic problem of too much interest from the kids.  Unfortunately for them, my tools can only spread so far, so I was hoping some of you could help!  After scouring craigslist and watching Ebay/woodnet and other forums, I'm not finding much of what I'm looking for.  I'm in search of your old rusty mismatched chisels, marking/layout tools, saws, scrapers, tools needing rehab or new handles, whatever you have bouncing around the shop you think could help.  Anything serviceable will do!  The kids are passionate and willing to work on bringing something back to life.  We don't have much of a budget - but I have some promised support from a few of the more connected parents.  Classes begin in mid March, so if you think you have anything that could be of use for the kids I would love to chat with you and work something out - I can cover flat rate USPS shipping for sure.
Thank you for your help!
Jason Szklany

Good for you for doing this. I'll look around my shop tonight and see what I might have. Where are you located?

(02-06-2019, 09:29 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Good for you for doing this. I'll look around my shop tonight and see what I might have. Where are you located?

Thank you for your help! It has honestly forced me to be much more conscious of my own skills and habits as I'm trying my hardest to build start them on the right foot.  I'm located in Southern MD - zip is 20603.  I can PM you shipping address info if you think there is anything that would work.
J
What age group(s)?

What sort of projects are you thinking of tackling?

What sort of benches or other work holding do you have?

Do you need to stick to pencils for marking or do you think that marking knives are safe enough for their use?

FWIW, when taking tools to a joint working area, I got some nail polish from a niece that she did not need any more and was an uncommon color and put a dot of it on each of the tools that I took with me. It makes it much easier at the end of the day sorting things out and avoiding unintentional trips by the tools to someone else's home. That becomes more important as some of your kids start acquiring their own tools. A different color for each kid helps avoid turning them off to woodworking because they lost their tools.

Edit to add: ballpark of how many students?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(02-06-2019, 12:08 PM)iclark Wrote: What age group(s)?

What sort of projects are you thinking of tackling?

What sort of benches or other work holding do you have?

Do you need to stick to pencils for marking or do you think that marking knives are safe enough for their use?

FWIW, when taking tools to a joint working area, I got some nail polish from a niece that she did not need any more and was an uncommon color and put a dot of it on each of the tools that I took with me. It makes it much easier at the end of the day sorting things out and avoiding unintentional trips by the tools to someone else's home. That becomes more important as some of your kids start acquiring their own tools. A different color for each kid helps avoid turning them off to woodworking because they lost their tools.

Edit to add: ballpark of how many students?

I have quite a few students - 22 in total, two groups at separate times, 7-10 and 11-14.  Classes are about split down the middle, maybe 10 in the older group, 12 in the younger.  Younger kids are more geared towards assembly projects and simple layout.  My goal for them is very light chisel work, block plane work, shooting plane work, hand saws, and brace/ manual drilling.  The older group should be able to safely navigate any of it, so beyond the younger group skillsets, I want the older kids to be able to square up rough stock and navigate mortise and tenon joinery layout/formation.

So far we have used my one marking gauge and pencils for layout.  The marking gauge was just passed around for a cut line as I didn't have enough chisels/mallets for the kids to even NEED a crisp edge.  

Benches are MDF topped knock down tables that I built up last year.  They're very sturdy, but no decent means of work holding for tools yet.  I'm definitely open to suggestion on that!  I'm leaning towards a small carpenter's vise from Harbor Freight...

Thank you for the suggestion on the nail polish!! I will definitely do this!  Not sure what my wife will think about me sneaking her glossy red out to the shop though 
Laugh
Laugh

Projects are more tool dependent - last semester was a sliding top box, coat rack, jewelry rack, a shelf, birdhouse, etc.  Simple but 90% assembly - I just want them to experience the fun parts of the process, not just sanding, finish nails and poly!

Thank you for your questions and reaching out!  
J
I haven't any tools to provide. However, you may want to try searching auctionzip.com for local auctions that could have tools that meet your needs. How about having the older group produce marking gauges for their own use, or even for the younger? There is lots of ways to skin the cat for marking gauges, another good project is winding sticks. These mandate parallel sides by planing to the gauge lines. Perhpas other could chime in, but I believe that there is a very large flea market or auctions that operates on the Eastern Shore where you may be able to find the planes in need of work. Hope this helps.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.

(02-06-2019, 05:05 PM)jppierson Wrote: I haven't any tools to provide. However, you may want to try searching auctionzip.com for local auctions that could have tools that meet your needs.  How about having the older group produce marking gauges for their own use, or even for the younger?  There is lots of ways to skin the cat for marking gauges, another good project is winding sticks.  These mandate parallel sides by planing to the gauge lines. Perhpas other could chime in, but I believe that there is a very large flea market or auctions that operates on the Eastern Shore where you may be able to find the planes in need of work.  Hope this helps.

Great suggestions!  I'll look into the auctions asap and I'm definitely open to the flea markets.  Great idea for the projects - their own winding sticks will be fantastic for squaring up stock.

Thank you for your thoughts!
J
(02-06-2019, 08:58 AM)jszklany Wrote: Hello Woodnetters!

I am a hobby woodworker looking to share the fun of woodworking with a new generation - I volunteer teach a hand tool basics class at a local homeschool cooperative.  This semester we've run into a fantastic problem of too much interest from the kids.  Unfortunately for them, my tools can only spread so far, so I was hoping some of you could help!  After scouring craigslist and watching Ebay/woodnet and other forums, I'm not finding much of what I'm looking for.  I'm in search of your old rusty mismatched chisels, marking/layout tools, saws, scrapers, tools needing rehab or new handles, whatever you have bouncing around the shop you think could help.  Anything serviceable will do!  The kids are passionate and willing to work on bringing something back to life.  We don't have much of a budget - but I have some promised support from a few of the more connected parents.  Classes begin in mid March, so if you think you have anything that could be of use for the kids I would love to chat with you and work something out - I can cover flat rate USPS shipping for sure.
Thank you for your help!
Jason Szklany

So glad you are doing this Jason.  We homeschooled or daughters the whole 12 years so I am glad you are doing this for them.

PM me if you get a chance OK.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(02-06-2019, 05:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: So glad you are doing this Jason.  We homeschooled or daughters the whole 12 years so I am glad you are doing this for them.

PM me if you get a chance OK.

Thank you and quite honestly, the process has been tremendously rewarding.  The kids are thrilled with the hands on time and have been hungry to get all they can.  PM is on it's way - thanks for the comment!
J
I've seen a few tools pop up on Facebook Marketplace on occasion. 

If you're area has a classified ad-type newspaper, you should be able to find some tools there through garage/yard sales and maybe even a couple of auction houses. 

I've also found "decent" deals on some old tools at a couple consignment/antique stores. Mostly handsaws, but I've seen a few chisels thrown in a box, too...

Good luck! I think you'll find your classes getting bigger every year as a lot of kids are hungry for this kind of stuff...
Yes

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Homeschool class looking for Basics