What would be the easiest and least expensive method.of mounting a CBN wheel to the outboard side of the headstock? I have adapters and a spare chuck that could hold a mandrel or similar, but would any of you have a better idea?? Surely someone has tried this...

Thanks in advance.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com

Why not just put it on the headstock side?  You will still have to mount a bolted system to hold it on the wheel side.

Only one thing I can think of is making a wooden wheel big enough to go over the wheel and clamp it there.  Have a 1/2" bolt or 5/8" bolt going thru it to mount the wheel on.  Sort of a wheel on a wheel I guess.

Also thinking here how would you be able to swing the tool far enough to the right side to sharpen it with the head stock there?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just slip it on the arbor and tighten it down.
It depends on the diameter and length of the spindle on the outboard side.

You might be able to just replace the handwheel with the CBN wheel.

Otherwise, you will need an adapter. Assuming you are using a modern lathe, be sure that the adapter is hollow to let you use your knockout bar.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-08-2019, 10:25 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: What would be the easiest and least expensive method.of mounting a CBN wheel to the outboard side of the headstock? I have adapters and a spare chuck that could hold a mandrel or similar, but would any of you have a better idea?? Surely someone has tried this...

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want metal grit from grinding anywhere near your lathe ways?
Actually, that's a good question. That hadn't crossed my mind. I'm not sure that's be a serious problem, especially since I clean the heck out of my lathe very often, but with that fine a particle I may miss some. Granted, it'd take a long time to actually damage the ways meaningfully, but not a risk I want to take as this will be the last lathe I probably ever want to buy.

Thanks for the thought.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
My grinder is very close to my lathe, as is the grinder of many other turners I know.

Even with those that turn for a living, the dust coming off the grinder doesn't damage their lathe.

1) Most doesn't fall onto the lathe.
2) The banjo is moved relatively rarely, at low speed, and with a gap between the banjo and ways that is larger than the dust particles.

It's a non-issue.
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-12-2019, 11:34 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My grinder is very close to my lathe, as is the grinder of many other turners I know.

Even with those that turn for a living, the dust coming off the grinder doesn't damage their lathe.

1)  Most doesn't fall onto the lathe.
2)  The banjo is moved relatively rarely, at low speed, and with a gap between the banjo and ways that is larger than the dust particles.

It's a non-issue.

Brad

I will have to disagree with you buddy.  Having fine metal grit will cut into the bedways whenever the banjo and tailstock are moved and I do mine quite a bit when turning.  I have my grinder 4' opposite the lathe and even then I do get some dust on it and clean it off before.

I do have evidence of not cleaning it off before. 
Angry
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(02-12-2019, 01:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Brad

I will have to disagree with you buddy.  Having fine metal grit will cut into the bedways whenever the banjo and tailstock are moved and I do mine quite a bit when turning.  I have my grinder 4' opposite the lathe and even then I do get some dust on it and clean it off before.

I do have evidence of not cleaning it off before. 
Angry

Must be micro micro micro damage.
My (2) 30" belt sander and 6" grinder sit right next (behind) my lathe support tube. I wish the grinding dust would help remove the surface rust. Lol not really, but it's a non issue for me also.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yes, Arlin, it will cut into the ways. I didn't claim otherwise. The damage done, though, is minuscule, and I doubt it's something that will cause noticeable, actionable damage over the useful life of a lathe.

I doubt you move your banjo enough to significantly damage the ways.
Semper fi,
Brad

CBN wheel mounted on the outboard side of headstock?