Thumbs Up 
What do you think of him making something out of a brass nut and enucleated nut

As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed it.
Jeff in Los Angeles
Amazing!! There is an unbelievable amount of talent out there in this world.
cool!

I'd give that a try if I could come up with the diamond on the cheap.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I do have several loose stones like a black diamond, Rubies, Emeralds, Sapphires, and Amethysts I could do that with.

Instead of a nut I am thinking why not a SS thick washer or Brass washers that are thick so not as much work taking metal off.

I really like how he taken the nut and did all the work on it for the diamond setting.  Pretty cool there to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-22-2019, 11:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do have several loose stones like a black diamond, Rubies, Emeralds, Sapphires, and Amethysts I could do that with.

Instead of a nut I am thinking why not a SS thick washer or Brass washers that are thick so not as much work taking metal off.

I really like how he taken the nut and did all the work on it for the diamond setting.  Pretty cool there to.

It has to do with how easily the metal can be worked and hold its shape.  Brass is pretty soft, and stainless can be difficult to work.

(02-23-2019, 10:39 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: It has to do with how easily the metal can be worked and hold its shape.  Brass is pretty soft, and stainless can be difficult to work.

Thanks Bruce

Being an ex-machinist I have turned all kinds of metals and of most of them Titanium is the worst and the most brittle but I have made a few rings from that as well just not like his nor as fragile.   He has a few other YouTube on making other rings out of other stones and does a great job there to.

(02-23-2019, 02:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks Bruce

Being an ex-machinist I have turned all kinds of metals and of most of them Titanium is the worst and the most brittle but I have made a few rings from that as well just not like his nor as fragile.   He has a few other YouTube on making other rings out of other stones and does a great job there to.

Well, then, you’re just the guy to ask.  My son’s wedding ring is a carbide of some sort.  How are those made?  I can’t see how they could be machined.

(02-23-2019, 07:48 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Well, then, you’re just the guy to ask.  My son’s wedding ring is a carbide of some sort.  How are those made?  I can’t see how they could be machined.

Carbide is machined with diamond tooling.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for sharing.

I thought his workbench setup was pretty interesting.

Matt
This is just jaw dropping watching him make this