Found this drill bit in with some garage sale auger bits.  I've never seen one like it,  This one is for drilling a hole about 3/8" diameter.  It is similar to a fortsner bit but with the auger for removing waste.  It's pretty small, and will cut but kind of dull.  How would you sharpen it?   Thanks

[attachment=16958]

[attachment=16959]

[attachment=16960]

Better pics would help.
Third pic, looks like it fits in a brace?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It does fit into a brace. Sorry about the pics.

(02-28-2019, 09:02 PM)toolmiser Wrote: It does fit into a brace.  Sorry about the pics.

I'm on a different computer at the moment, and the pic is a tad clearer.
Seems to be a forester type bit.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-01-2019, 10:19 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I'm on a different computer at the moment, and the pic is a tad clearer.
Seems to be a forester type bit.
My take as well.....Looks like it is intended for deep drilling, because it is fluted to eject the chips, unlike ordinary forschners..But I could be wrong...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-01-2019, 01:59 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
My take as well.....Looks like it is intended for deep drilling, because it is fluted to eject the chips, unlike ordinary forschners..But I could be wrong...

Ditto, Had some back in the old pattern shop. Went up to about 3/4 dia in that style
Wow, two weirdo tools in a row.  My best guess is a hollow auger for dowels.

Edit:  no, I'm full of chit, that's not right.  Agree with Stwood's id below.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The number of variations manufacturers have come up with over the last century and a half, since the explosion of Good Ideas Not All of Which Worked Out started, would be hard to calculate.  I suspect you've got one of those.
How would I attempt to sharpen it. Small needle file from the inside?
Lock mortise bit.
Help identify drill bit