I just received a 12" log with burl wrapping 75% around.  I have no idea of species.  Until I watched a few YouTube videos, I was under the impression burl was stable and lengthy drying was not required.  The burl has three formations.  Let me know what you think of my plan.

1. Slice the log to separate the formations

2. Flatten the face of each burl

3. Turn to 1" thick

4. Seal and wait  (How long do I need to wait?)

The log came from Louisiana, bark is not oak, bark is more coarse than Cypress or Silver Maple.

Ok, I'm depending on the wealth of knowledge of the amazing Woodnet family!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

Bill

Take this with just a grain of salt since I have never turned it before but have heard that all burl is unstable when turning.  It is due to all the bark inclusion's and grain going everywhere and on and so on.

Hope someone else will be along soon like Frank or MM to talk to you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've started to turn some burl the last year or so and for the smaller ones that were sealed I would let them sit for 4 or 5 months then turn them to rough shape, put in a bag with shavings and sit for 2 to 3 months. So far so good but I'm not sure what the Proper procedure is. I recently got a big oak burl that is wet and heavy and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it so I'm interested to see what other comments you get.

Here's a shot of the one I'm talking about. That bugger weighs about 40 lbs. at least! That's an 18" ruler laying on it. It's unsealed so I need to figure something out soon.

[Image: 33373750388_d0cc0166de_k.jpg]IMG_0844 by Frank Smith, on Flickr

(03-05-2019, 01:43 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I've started to turn some burl the last year or so and for the smaller ones that were sealed I would let them sit for 4 or 5 months then turn them to rough shape, put in a bag with shavings and sit for 2 to 3 months. So far so good but I'm not sure what the Proper procedure is. I recently got a big oak burl that is wet and heavy and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it so I'm interested to see what other comments you get.

Here's a shot of the one I'm talking about. That bugger weighs about 40 lbs. at least! That's an 18" ruler laying on it. It's unsealed so I need to figure something out soon.

[Image: 33373750388_d0cc0166de_k.jpg]IMG_0844 by Frank Smith, on Flickr

WOW o WOW is that nice or what.  How much did that cost you??  Are you still buying from the same guy or did he retire from selling burls??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bill I was hoping a few other people would comment on this. I'm going to try and figure out something on mine this weekend. I'll let you know what I did.
Thank you Frank, the Woodturners of North Texas club meeting isn't until March 28, I'm sure someone there will have some answers.  I just figured someone here would be able to enlighten me before our club meeting.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
This is what I did with the smaller maple burl last night. I turned most of the bark off, rough turned it to a reasonably consistent thickness and put it in a box with shavings. I'll let it sit for several months and check it from time to time to monitor the moisture content.

This is what I've done in the past and it's worked out pretty well.

[attachment=17166]
[attachment=17167]
[attachment=17168]
That should be an awesome bowl.  Please show it to us again when it's finished.
(03-08-2019, 12:33 PM)Rodneywt1180b Wrote: That should be an awesome bowl.  Please show it to us again when it's finished.

Yeah, I'm really happy with the burl. Has some great figure. Nothing to do now but wait...wait...wait!
Smile
Hey Arlin,
I got this from a different source. Shipping kinda killed me on it though. I did get in touch with my usual guy and he is still going to sell to me. I'll be getting some more soon. Sooner than later hopefully, once I see my accountant about taxes today! Soon as I get some more headed this way I'll send you something.
New Burl