The Veritas hold-down has been a great addition to my bench.  There have been times however when I wished I could apply more torque than was comfortably possible with the brass knob alone. Solution: a 1-3/4" service wrench:  lets you crank down as much as you need to to positively hold work.  $18 and change on ebay (brand new).  

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

[Image: 05g1401s2.jpg]

(03-08-2019, 05:15 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: The Veritas hold-down has been a great addition to my bench.  There have been times however when I wished I could apply more torque than was comfortably possible with the brass knob alone. Solution: a 1-3/4" service wrench:  lets you crank down as much as you need to to positively hold work.  $18 and change on ebay (brand new).  

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

[Image: 05g1401s2.jpg]

Wow, I never used mine because of the low holding power that resulted from the lack of torque that I could generate.

I had considered using some channel lock pliers to do just this but was worried that the thin pin/axle would not be up to the task of handling that pressure.

Any issues?
Peter

My "day job"

Not yet, but its relatively new to me. It it fails, i will be sure to come back and provide a full report!

(03-08-2019, 05:25 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Wow, I never used mine because of the low holding power that resulted from the lack of torque that I could generate.

I had considered using some channel lock pliers to do just this but was worried that the thin pin/axle would not be up to the task of handling that pressure.

Any issues?
(03-08-2019, 05:25 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Wow, I never used mine because of the low holding power that resulted from the lack of torque that I could generate.

Any issues?

Strange I find mine has lots of holding power as long as I reset the screw.  more so than my gramercy. Wonder what the difference is?

(03-08-2019, 06:29 PM)mongo Wrote: Strange I find mine has lots of holding power as long as I reset the screw.  more so than my gramercy.

I have been impressed with the hold - down as is. A rubber grip that fits over the brass knob would be a nice touch, I think. Also, I consider it a quick action tool, so a wrench would just slow me down.
(03-08-2019, 06:29 PM)mongo Wrote: Strange I find mine has lots of holding power as long as I reset the screw.  more so than my gramercy. Wonder what the difference is?

What is the thickness of your bench?

Mine is 3"

Also I roughed up the shaft of my Gramercy hold downs with coarse sandpaper when I got them.

I love how well they hold.
Peter

My "day job"
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of having this over a traditional holdfast you whack with a mallet?

(03-08-2019, 07:43 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of having this over a traditional holdfast you whack with a mallet?

It is most useful if you are sitting and chopping or whatever and need to reverse or change the work frequently. You do not have to get up, reach for and hammer a traditional holdfast, and sit back down only to rise again and again... It is a quick change tool that allows my getting older bones to remain seated and I do not have to reach. No comparison to a traditional holdfast. I use them too.
I have one, don't need two.
Worth every penny.
Ag
Nice solution. But I see that a wooden knob could also be made to just slip over the brass knob.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Philip, I believe that you are looking for a solution for the wrong problem. Plus you may damage the hold-down with the extra down force.

I rarely ... never ... need to crank down a hold-fast, whether it is this Veritas or the Gramercy (which some complain about slipping in the bench hole). In both cases there is usually a simple explanation, and it is about set up, not the tool.

In the case of the Veritas, I see two possible issues that can affect the holding power. The first is whether there is something under the foot (that section clamping the tool) acting as a non-slip? I glue on leather. The second is whether the bench top is too slippery to prevent the work piece from sliding? Many smooth plane or sand their tops and then add a thick finish, and even wax it. My bench top, after surfacing, was finished with a toothing blade to avoid a smooth surface. This adds a little grip. It was finished with a single coat of Danish Oil - just enough to not to permit glue, etc to sink into the wood. For my bench, work holding requires very little down force.

I recently made a very brief video of using a Gramercy. It is not the Veritas, but you can see the low down force needed ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Veritas Hold-Down: On Steroids