RIT dyes on wood  -- May be this question is asked before.
Has anyone used RIT fabric dyes on wood?

Here are instructions on their web site     Ri dyes

I like to do some experiments using their Golden Yellow or Sunshine Orange dye on Maple, then finish with Zar # 110 Salem Maple oil penetrating stain.

Before I do this, any suggestions? or any experience in this?

It is my understanding that they are not particularly light-fast. But I could be mis-remembering and have it confused with something else.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I've used them, but can't really speak to how the hold up over time.  Mostly what I've used them for are Christmas ornaments I've scroll sawn.  Those don't see the light of day, but for a few weeks a year.

I have a couple plaques hanging outside the door to my basement shop, that were dyed with RIT fabric dye.  I haven't looked closely at them for a while, but my impression is that they haven't faded much.  Neither has any top coat, but again, they are kind of in a dark area, without much direct light.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-13-2019, 10:56 AM)Jack01 Wrote: RIT dyes on wood  -- May be this question is asked before.
Has anyone used RIT fabric dyes on wood?

Here are instructions on their web site     Ri dyes

I like to do some experiments using their Golden Yellow or Sunshine Orange dye on Maple, then finish with Zar # 110 Salem Maple oil penetrating stain.

Before I do this, any suggestions? or any experience in this?

I dyed a maple apple I turned with yellow RIT dye and finished it with GF's High Performance Poly.  I don't believe it has faded in the 7 or 8 years since I made it, and it sits out on a display shelf 24/7.  HP Poly has a very good UV stabilizer package in it, which is why I used it.  

Normally, I would use Transtint dyes and that would still be my choice for any project that matters.  

John
Procion MX dyes are supposed to be far more light fast and desolve in alcohol, so no grain raising:

https://prochemicalanddye.net/downloads/...ctions.pdf

Comparison:

http://blog.wardrobesupplies.com/2014/05...-dyes-101/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I can't comment on the dye, but I have always found maple to blotch fairly easily with oil stain. I would be sure to test it first.

Ed
Ed
RIT dyes on wood