Question 
I am wanting to paint a piece of kitchen cabinet face frame that is next to a previously painted wood surface. What suggestion might you offer to cleaning and preparing the existing varnished surface without adversely effecting the existing painted area? I am thinking that tsp or tsp substitute are too harsh. Thoughts?

TSP would be good.  Just tape off what you don't want to get any TSP solution onto.  If that sounds like too much work then just wipe it really good with mineral spirits, followed by soapy water, then scuff sand after it's dry.  

John
(03-26-2019, 03:26 PM)Stove M Wrote: I am wanting to paint a piece of kitchen cabinet face frame that is next to a previously painted wood surface. What suggestion might you offer to cleaning and preparing the existing varnished surface without adversely effecting the existing painted area? I am thinking that tsp or tsp substitute are too harsh. Thoughts?

TSP may affect the painted surface.   Try washing with Dove dish soap.  Then scuff sand and coat with a shellac based primer such as Zinnser BIN primer, which will seal in anything that was missed.  Then your finish coat of paint.  Both the above post and mine assume the varnish is in good shape and not gummy Roly (posting at the same time as above)
Cleaning varnished kitchen cabinet