Lowes has a pretty decent price on the tool only version of the Dewalt 20v max brushless circular saw.  I always thought it would be nice to be able to cut things out in the yard or even in the parking lot at one of the Borgs.  But I'm not sure it's quite worth $130 to me.  I have the 18v version and have never used it, but I'm sure the 20v brushless is a much nicer saw

Depends entirely on the work you would have for it. I frequently use mine on job sites with limited or no power. I also use it for small jobs when hauling a cord out is too much hassle for the job. On the other hand, my 15 amp corded saw is sitting in its box with a selection of blades for when it's needed.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Great for roofing. Great when you need to grab a saw and only make a couple cuts. Great when the cut being made is a long way from a receptacle.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-09-2019, 09:39 PM)EricU Wrote: Lowes has a pretty decent price on the tool only version of the Dewalt 20v max brushless circular saw.  I always thought it would be nice to be able to cut things out in the yard or even in the parking lot at one of the Borgs.  But I'm not sure it's quite worth $130 to me.  I have the 18v version and have never used it, but I'm sure the 20v brushless is a much nicer saw

But if you have the 18v version and never used it why would you use the 20v version ?     Roly
Just use the 18v saw you already have.  It spins the blade and cuts the wood.
I often used take with me when I go to buy lumber.  Cutting the lumber before putting it in the car made transport easier.  I now have a Pacifica minivan and it will take full sheets of plywood on the floor so I don't carry the saw with me anymore.  

The blade on my Rigid spins much slower than my Milwaukee plug in saw.  I find it very handy to use the battery powered saw, but the faster spinning blade on the Milwaukee makes a cleaner cut.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I had the 18v Dewalt when they first became available.  It worked great, but three or four cuts lengthwise on a sheet of ply and the battery was done.  When it was charged, I liked it because there was no cord to bind your feet or to manage as you cut, there wasn't much weight to manage, you can cut almost anywhere you want and the saw was smaller so you could get into tighter spaces.  I didn't use it a lot and I ended up selling the set eventually and migrated back to a corded saw.
(04-09-2019, 09:39 PM)EricU Wrote: Lowes has a pretty decent price on the tool only version of the Dewalt 20v max brushless circular saw.  I always thought it would be nice to be able to cut things out in the yard or even in the parking lot at one of the Borgs.  But I'm not sure it's quite worth $130 to me.  I have the 18v version and have never used it, but I'm sure the 20v brushless is a much nicer saw

I think you answered your own question. 

My first cordless tool was a Ryobi 14.4V drill.  It came in a kit with a saw.  I used that drill a lot and bought 3 pair of replacement batteries for it over the years.  They were relatively cheap, at the time.  I used the saw a few times.  It came in handy, which is why I used it, but limited power and battery life meant that I didn't use it as much as I might have.  I've never felt a real need to upgrade, but I'll admit there are times when it would have been nice to have a good cordless saw.  Lithium Ion batteries and brushless motors have meant a quantum leap in capability, compared to my old Ryobi saw, but still not enough for me to justify the $$.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Other than the obvious uses, e.g., where there is no power, working on a roof, etc., I struggle to be able to justify the need for one in a hobbyist shop, although I can see its flexibility and usefulness in the trades.  For rough breakdown work, a Stanley Fat Max impulse hardened handsaw in the back of the truck will do as much, with a little bit of effort, but exercise is good for you.  Otherwise, if I can't get a cord to where I'm working to use my PC Trim Saw, Messrs. Disston, Peace, Bishop and Atkins solved that problem long ago with panel saws.....

[Image: 46256129535_fccaf2244e_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use my Ryobi 18v enough to warrant the $50 it cost me.
how useful is a cordless circular saw